Costa Europa (RETIRED) Cruise Review to Europe - Mediterranean

A European Cruise aboard Europa

Sail Date: May 09, 2006

The vessel Costa Europa is very well-maintained and managed. All departments of the vessel functioned well. The only exception was a complete water outage lasting 6 hours on the last night of the cruise which was only announced shortly beforehand.

Pros: Excellent itinerary, very good food and service

Cons: Port of departure and return, Savona, was difficult, costly and time-consuming to reach

Tripoli, Libya
During my cruise in May 3006, Americans were prohibited from disembarking in Tripoli. Almost all the other passengers went on excursions to Leptis Magna or Sabratha and had mixed reviews.
Valletta, Malta
I participated in the Malta on horseback excursion, which was quite enjoyable, if not overpriced.
Limassol, Cyprus
I had already visited Cyprus extensively so I did not take an excursion, but spent a pleasant afternoon on the beach. Later I overheard several of the other passengers expressing disappointment with the excursions. We really only had 3 hours ashore, which was too little to see anything on the Island. Limassol itself is rather uninteresting.
Limassol, Cyprus
Naples, Italy
I had signed up for an excursion to Mount Vesuvius, but this was cancelled without explanation or notification. I instead went on the "Solfatara Crater" excursion, which was mildly interesting but overpriced.
Don't Miss: Most passengers visited Pompeii or Herculaneum, which I had already visited on previous trips to Naples.
Rhodes, Greece
Rhodes is an excellent place for a short port-visit, as the port itself has many intereresting sites and the beautiful ancient/medieval town of Lindos is within reach with an excursion.
Don't Miss: The Lindos acropolis with its spectacular views is particularly recommended.
Valletta, Malta
Rhodes, Greece
Alexandria (Cairo), Egypt
Almost all passengers opted for the several excursions to Giza and Saqqara to visit the pyramids. The agressive and abusive hordes of scam artists and hawkers detracted significantly from what would have been an excellent visit to the pyramid complex. I took the camel-riding and jeep safari after visiting the pyramids and this was a much better value than expected, with at least 30 minutes on a camel in caravan and at least 30 minutes in a jeep.
Don't Miss: I highly recommend the camel and jeep safari to physically fit passengers.
Tripoli, Libya