Bigger isn't always better

Carnival Vista Cruise Review to Caribbean - Western

Cruises: 7+ cruises

Overall rating:

Carnival Vista

6 Night Western Caribbean (Miami Roundtrip)

Sail date: April 01, 2018

Ship: Carnival Vista

Cabin type: Balcony

Traveled as: Singles/Friends

Review summary

I was so excited to cruise on the Vista. I had seen ads, heard about the technology, dining options and extra activities older ships don't have. I was rather disappointed. Had we not upgraded to the Spa Level the entire trip would have been a let down. The Spa Level was definitely worth the $$ and made the trip for me. I took advantage of the Spa everyday as it is conveniently located and has a lot to offer. The Vista is so big it is hard to keep up with all the places you might want to go - too many food choices but still always lines. It appeared people just went to what was convenient so everybody ends up in the same places. There is an exclusive Cabana area reserved only for guest with rooms in the Havana area. It comes with a private pool and seems like a real waste of space. Never enough chairs at the two other pools and the water rides were always over run with kids and very long lines. I will stick with smaller ships.

Embarkation

Ship experiences

Lot's of places to grab food with a good variety, sushi, barbecue, Italian, Burgers etc. The main dining room was a real disappointment. The meals were way tooo long - something didn't seem right. We waited a long time between courses - not typical service. Staff was good but not the best I've had on Carnival.

Ports of call

Ocho Rios, Jamaica

Bought a day pass at the Sandals Ocho - will not do that again. The resort is a little run down, food was average and drinks were served in small plastic cups with little to no ice.

George Town, Grand Cayman

Always enjoy Grand Caymans. Took an hour sail and did some snorkeling. Spent the day at Royal Palms Beach Club. If you plan ahead you can book a cabana by the pool. Great service and ice cold beverages & decent food for a beach bar.

Not my cup of tea or shot of tequila. I will not go back to this port. I haven't visited Mexico in 10 years and if anything it has gotten worse. We went to a "resort" Mr. Sanchos. Best was crowded, food was average and drinks were nothing to get excited about. Long pricey cab ride $35 there and $35 back for 2.

Disembarkation