Carnival Victory Cruise Review to Caribbean - Bahamas

Third Mate

We always have a good time on Carnival.

Sail Date: March 06, 2016

Room Type: Suite

As always, the best part of the cruise is meeting wonderfully dedicated crew members who work hard to make us happy and seem to enjoy doing it.  Let's start with our stateroom attendant Supinya and her partner Putra.  Our room was always clean and ready for our use, and they never intruded on our privacy.  Whenever we saw them in the hallway, they always greeted us by name and showed us the best way to get where we were going.

At dinner we were served and entertained by Alimuddin, I Made, and Bogryan (from Ohio, or so he always said with a wink.)

One of the most heartwarming encounters was with Alit in the Mediterranean Dining Room on the Lido deck.  It was soon after we boarded the ship, and we still had our carry-ons with us.  The restaurant was crowded, and finding a table where we could maneuver and park our bags was problematic.  Soon after we were seated, even before we went to obtain our food, Alit showed up and offered us beverages.  It was such a relief not to have to find and navigate the beverage station.  Throughout the meal she was attentive without "hovering".  Later on she introduced us to Andrew, who was also friendly, witty, and helpful.

I must also give high marks to Viktoriyah and Luanna, who delivered our room service orders.  Also, Mrythe in the spa use a bamboo "rolling pin" to give me one of the most effective deep tissue massages I've ever had.

I know it's fashionable to complain about the food, but there's not much bad to say about it.  A couple of mornings the scrambled eggs were not to my wife's liking, but maybe she's just spoiled by the way I make them.  But then at the brunch in the Atlantic dining room on Wednesday morning, I had the best eggs Benedict I've ever had on a cruise.

At dinner there may have been the occasional disappointment, but more often things were better than expected, and there was one dinner that blew us away!  We ordered the lobster tail from the specialty menu.  We expected a substantial serving of one tail that would be reasonably good.  What was served to each of us was a plate of not one but three good-sized lobster tails that were fresh, perfectly prepared, and the best lobster we have ever eaten on any of our previous 20+ cruises!  And they were even served with real melted butter.  It was spectacular!

As I said, we have been on 20+ cruises, and on several we have gotten room service.  The room service on this cruise was prompt and accurate, and the food was served hot.  My wife enjoyed the best Teriyaki wings she's ever had, and my pizza was the best I've ever had on a cruise, comparing favorably to some I've enjoyed frequently at home.  It was way beyond my expectation.

When we boarded, we were wishing that there had been a steak house restaurant, or some other up-scale specialty restaurant, but the orders we had from the specialty menu more than compensated for this perceived shortcoming.

You may have read previous reviews with complaints about the cleanliness of the ship.  We found no problems.  The ship was kept very clean.  The one exception was the windows, with constant sea spray streaks.  But we're on the ocean, for heaven's sake!  How can you keep windows streak-free in the middle of the ocean???

Bottom line, there will always be people who seem determined to have a horrible experience no matter what they do, and then look for someone to blame for it.  We aren't those people, and we think they would really have to work at it to make themselves miserable on this cruise.

Loved It! The bed was so comfortable it was hard to stay out of it. We really enjoyed having so much closet space and so many drawers and shelves. The bathroom was spacious and convenient, except for one thing: the edge of the tub was rather high, and my wife had difficulty stepping into and our of it. I can't really think of anything Carnival could do about that, short of taking out the tub, and it would be tragic to have that lovely suite without the jetted tub.
We really enjoyed the comics, especially Valerie Storm. The cruise director had a very thick accent and spoke to fast. It was difficult to understand his announcements.
See comments above.
See above.
Port Canaveral, Florida Not on this itinerary.
Freeport, Grand Bahama Island
Again, Freeport itself is unspectacular. But we took a dinner companion's advice and cabbed it to Lucaya beach, where we played at the Treasure Cove Casino, and my wife won!
Nassau itself isn't that great, but the weather was great, and it was a splendid spring day. We did the land and see excursion and loved it. There is so much colorful history about the Bahamas.

If you order from room service, don't hesitate to order from the "pay extra" page. The value is far greater than the extra you pay. Same way with dinner. If you don't see what you want on the featured menu, order from the $20.00 menu. The value received far exceeds the extra cost.