Worst cruise ever

Carnival Valor Cruise Review to Caribbean - Western

Cruises: 7+ cruises

Overall rating:

Carnival Valor

5 Night Western Caribbean (Galveston Roundtrip)

Sail date: November 03, 2018

Ship: Carnival Valor

Cabin type: Balcony

Cabin number: 6458

Traveled as: Couple

Review summary

That was our 6th and final cruise on Carnival. 75% of the passengers on board seemed to be first time cruisers he'll bent on getting their money's worth of everything.

Embarkation

This was our 10th cruise and embarcation went quickly. However, they normally take your picture, frank your credit card, give you the onboard card/room key, and a map of the ship. They used our passport photos. Our room keys were to be found in the mailbox outside our cabin door. We made a special trip to guest services to get the map. And later in the cruise our onboard account was deactivated because the did not Frank my credit card. After being sick for 18 hours in the cabin I made it up to the nearest bar on the Lido deck for a ginger ale. That's when my card was declined. I must have looked like death warmed over and about to cry. The bartender said I needed to go to guest services to resolve the issue but he gave me the ginger ale anyway.

Ship experiences

Did not visit any specialty restaurants on this cruise. The food in the main dining room was uninspiring at best. On Carnival you can order a filet or lobster for a $20 upcharge. My husband enjoyed the filet but my lobster was overcooked and chewy. Guy's Burger Joint was outstanding as usual. Disappointed in the Mongolian Wok. There were fewer items to select and only three flavors. They covered the works with lids and the food was more steamed than stir fried. The cruise was 5 nights and spent half the time recovering from food poisoning from what I believe was the tilapia at dinner on night 3.

Washington Dining Room

Mediocre food at best.

Mongolian Wok

Limited selection of items compared to Celebrity Cruises. More steamed than stir fried.

Guy's Burger Joint

The burgers are awesome.

Eagles Aft Lounge

Didn't need to be there. Could hear everything from our cabin.

Spa Carnival

My husband and I each had three treatments. Charged us for 7 total. Still trying to get this resolved.

Argonaut Pool

Adult only pool

Really only saw one comedian's performance.

Iliad Library

Good selection of books. Always crowded with game players.

Our cabin steward, Asmail, was outstanding. Our dining room server, Martha, was average.

The Valor has recently been refurbished. Public areas were nice.

We paid extra for a sunset cabin with a larger aft facing balcony. Definitely not worth the cost. Karaoke music from the Eagle's Lounge sounded like it was being piped into our room every night. The cabin seemed smaller than normal. We did not even have a sofa or any chair with a back. I asked the cabin steward and he said there were two cabins like that. Our only options were sitting on the edge of the bed or a single vanity stool.

Disembarkation

We did an express walk off with our luggage. Everything was delayed because initially there were only two customs and immigration agents on duty. 3000 people are trying to get off the ship and only 2 lines??? By the time our group was called there were 6 lines open. Our waiting area was the casino with people smoking everywhere.