Carnival Triumph Cruise Review to Caribbean - Western

1st time cruise

Sail Date: July 18, 2015

This was my first time on a cruise.  Before the trip, I was super nervous.  Large bodies of water terrify me and I prefer to travel by land. Overall, I had an amazing time and I cannot wait for my upcoming cruise this summer.  Everyday, the cruise offered a ton of activities including Bingo (my favorite game)!  The comedy shows were great also.  For this trip, we traveled with a large group (newlyweds, a few elderly, a few teenagers, single twenty-something (me lol), and a few pre teens).  There were activities to accommodate everyone.  No one in my group was bored.  The teens ran around together and were completely satisfied.  We only saw them when it was time to explore Mexico, breakfast, and some dinners.  Every evening, there were different singles events (20s, 30s, LGBT, ect).  I really wanted to attend one but I was traveling with older aunts/married cousins and I'm too much of an introvert to venture into those settings solo.

For our cruise, we took several walkie talkies.  The walkie talkies worked ok but we discovered that lots of people had the same brand of walkie talkies and there was alot of interference.  Now carnival has a new app that has a texting feature that we are going to try out this summer.

The staff was amazing!  As soon as we entered our rooms, the man in charge of my group of cabins knew all of our names.  He also learned our faces quickly.  It took me about a day and a half before I realized that he was talking to me! I kept thinking, for sure he must be talking to another Genevieve.

I only had one negative experience on the cruise.  One night, I returned to my cabin and there were 2 very large, loud carpet dryers in my room.  My room and the room next to mine had experienced some sort of plumbing issue and the carpet was flooded.  I refused to sleep with all of that noise so they moved me for 1 night to another room (on a much lower deck and away from my family) but did give me a nice credit on my account.

A few people in our party required a wheelchair. The process was super easy. They got on the boat and in there rooms before we even got onto the boat!
For my first cruise, I thought there was so much to do and I had trouble squeezing it all in. But one day, a couple standing behind me in the Bingo line felt that this cruise had the least amount of activities of all of the cruises they had been on.
My brother (9) did not want to stay in the kids program. He doesnt do well with people he doesn't know. When we went down to check it out, I did witness the cruise staff calling a parent to come pick up their child for causing trouble.
The food is good. We didnt go to any of the specialty restaurants.
Galveston, Texas
Progreso (Merida), Mexico
Sales people are really pushy.
Be weary of the non-carnival excursions. Even though Carnival excursions are more expensive, they are legit. The ones offered by locals can be scams sometimes.