Carnival Triumph Cruise Review to Caribbean - Western

Extremely disappointed

Sail Date: July 15, 2013

To Whom It May Concern:
We are very dissatisfied with our very first cruise ship experience! We had several incidences occur while on the cruise that has my family disheartened and discouraged. My husband and I and my two daughters booked our first cruise on the carnival Triumph on the dates July 15 thru the 21, 2013.
First complaint: On the first night at dinner shortly after finishing with dinner the hostess came to us and told us they were reassigning us to the other side of the dining room. She said it was to accommodate a larger family that wanted to sit together. This excuse was suspicious as the seating assignments are done at booking. We felt shunned because we had our fourteen year old handicap daughter that was traveling with us and is confined to a wheelchair. My daughter Britney is in a wheelchair and does have spasticity and does drool a little however she comprehends everything and is aware of her surroundings. We had her well dressed and attended to her needs accordingly. She is not an outcast or an oddity she is a human being with feelings and we felt shunned by the move. We were deeply offended. we were placed way in the back corner of the dining room.
The second complaint was that upon embarking the ship and at times throughout the cruise the elevators were not working on the lido deck and we had to wait a long time at all of the elevators. When and elevator became available the ambulatory passengers immediately rushed on leaving us to wait for another one to become available. It seemed as though all we did was wait for an elevator to come available. I think Carnival could be a little bit more accommodating to people in wheelchairs and have an elevator specified for handicap individuals and their assistant only with access to all floors.
Third complaint: We were unable to go anywhere in Progresso because the shuttle was not handicap accessible and Carnival had no handicap accessible taxi, bus or van available to bring us down the four mile pier at Progress port. We missed out on an opportunity to go on an excursion to a free beach in Progresso because there was no handicap accessibility transportation available like there was for ambulatory people. We spoke with the cruise director and she advised us to stay on the ship and enjoy the ship on Progresso port day. This is unfortunate because we were so looking forward to experiencing some of the flavor of Mexico at the Progresso port, even if just to go to a free beach nearby the port and not just stay on the ship.
Fourth complaint: On Friday morning July 19 2013 at 7:30 am my daughter noticed that her 100 dollar bill was missing from her handicap stateroom 7218. She and I went down to guest services and reported it to the staff. Immediately they called security. We spoke with security officer Sanket and gave him permission to search my daughter's room. He came down to the room with a female staff member from housekeeping and searched my daughter’s room for the missing 100 dollar bill. The search was negative and we were unable to locate the money.
My daughter had rolled up the 100 dollar bill small for emergency purposes only and put it in a small zip up jewelry bag and placed it in a hanging bang that was zipped as well. She noticed it was missing early Friday morning. We went to Cozumel on Thursday and she did not take the money with her. The last time she saw the money was Thursday before leaving on the excursion to Cozumel. She filled out a statement in the room during the search by the security officer. It is very disheartening to have money go missing from the room. My daughter did not remove the money and had it for emergency purposes only. The staff at guest services apologized and basically said there is nothing they could do and unfortunately my daughter is out her 100 dollar bill. The steward and his assistant were the only staff with access to the room.
Again our experience on the Carnival Triumph cruise has left us deeply dissatisfied, disheartened and offended by the lack of accommodations for people with special needs and the lack of concern for the missing money from my daughter's handicap accessible room. We will not be recommending this cruise to any of our ambulatory or special needs family or friends.
Extremely disappointed,
Charlene Naquin
stateroom 7216

some of the staff were nice
Children's Programs did not apply to us
no accomidations for handicapp accessiblilty in port at Progresso to get off the four mile pier.
Galveston, Texas
Progreso (Merida), Mexico
no handicapp accessibility for scooters or wheelchairs.
the staff at Chankanaab in Cozumel were more accomadating thant the staff aboared Carnival ship triumph. At Chankanaab my fourteen year old daughter who is wheelchair bound and has cerebral palsy and seizure disorder was able to interact with the dolphins and the staff there provided a paramedic to be in the water with her at all times and also had two men carry my daughter down the stairs to get into the water and they even allowed my husband and myself to get in the water to watch her interact with the dolphins. It was truly amazing to see my special needs daughter relax and enjoy and interact with the staff and the dolphins. It was worth every penny and the pictures they took were awesome and we will cherish them for a lifetime. we had an awesome time in Cozumel. They even had a handicap accessible van and the driver stayed with us for five hours and drove us around and told us all about the culture and pointed things out to us. we had a wonderful day in Cozumel.

one good thing happened. On the first day my older daughter won a spa package worth $159