Carnival Sunshine Cruise Review to Caribbean - Bahamas

Cruiser beware

Sail Date: June 15, 2016

This was not my first cruise, however, it was my first and last on the Carnival Sunshine. Perhaps on a Carnival boat altogether.  The food was subpar. The only food that was digestible was found in the main dining room, but if you wanted the cuisine you come to expect from a cruise, be prepared to pay an additional $20.00 per plate per person.  Risotto and scallops?  One tablespoon risotto that was "crisp" with 3 small scallops was an appetizer. The Guy's burger bar is where we ate when too early or late for dining. The wait staff were wonderful as were the majority of staff. Beware of the casino. We were charged on our sail and sign card $10.00 for every machine we went to even though we played with cash.  I heard from others after we docked that it happened to them as well and they found the explanation they were given equally plausible as we did. The "sales guy" who tells you where the best bargains are is a flat out liar.  The best buys were clearly at Freeport and not Nassau as he indicated.  Overall, we were very disappointed, and nobody from the cruise line at guest services cared.

Omar was very pleasant.
The carpet trim was off in our stateroom. It was ridiculous to have to go from the 5th floor to register for meals and then be sent to the 3rd floor to dine.
Destinations and Excursions Ryan lied as to where the best buys were. He said Nassau was the best port for purchases and then when we got to Freeport he handed out fliers for the same stores we had already made purchases in with much better deals for Del Sol and Harley Davidson.
Not enough to keep people entertained unless you are an alcoholic or like to watch kids play in the pool. There certainly was not enough room for more people to get into the pool.
Where were the shows? We saw the comedy acts over and over again, and one show with people sitting on stools singing. A band where you walked from deck 5 to the elevator to go to deck 3 to dine. Adult scavenger hunt. Really?
The Sunshine main dining room wait staff were terrific at keeping my granddaughter safe with food allergy.
Thanks for keeping granddaughter safe with her peanut/treenut allergy, but the quality of the food was not up to expectations. We should not have to pay extra for the "better" cruiseship "fare"
Norfolk, Virginia
We were told all of the beaches are private and the only way to go to one is thru an excursion. I found out after I got home you can take a taxi and go to a beach without doing their overpriced excursions. Wish I had known beforehand.
Freeport, Grand Bahama Island
The beaches are beautiful but crazy you have to pay for an excursion to go to one.

The one tip I would give anyone about to sail on the Carnival Sunshine is to stop, reconsider, inconvenience yourself and travel to another departure port and go on a different cruise ship. The Sunshine has one hand out and the other hand in your pocket.