Carnival Sunshine Cruise Review to Caribbean - Bahamas

Contributor Level: Third Mate

Cruise=Best Vacation Ever!

Sail Date: April 24, 2016

I went on my first cruise my senior year of high school and from the second I got off the first one, I wanted to go on another one. So now that I just finished with college and found a job that allowed me to take a much needed vacation after 4 years of college, I went on this cruise with a friend and we had THE BEST time!! The remodel of the Carnival Sunshine is absolutely beautiful. There are so many good things to say about it that I could sit here and type all day. The things I, personally, loved the most were:

- The variety of Dive-In Movies and availability of blankets to snuggle up with during the film! How cozy and cute!

- ALL of the food. Whether it was in Lido or the Dining Rooms it was delicious.

- Your Time Dining. This option is so convenient because it allows you to go to dinner when you're ready and won't interfere with any activities you want to do. It was the perfect option for us. The first night was a little confusing because you have to go to the Ocean Plaza on the 5th floor to check in then to the Sunrise Dining Room on the 3rd floor to eat, but once you figured it out it was no hassle at all.

- Guy's Burger Joint. It was awesome that these burgers were included in the price (and delicious!)

- The Carnival HUB App. IT'S FREE TO USE ONBOARD!!! Most people didn't realize that. While I didn't want to use my cell phone much (other than for music) during vacation, this app was extremely useful and didn't make me lose the "I'm on vacation" vibe. It was so easy to view the schedule for each day and favorite the activities you were interested in. There's a favorites tab, so once you've gone through all the events, click over to that and BOOM, there's your schedule for the day! You don't have to worry about charges from your cell phone carrier either because the app works through the ship's Wi-Fi (for free) while your phone is on Airplane Mode. Love, love, love!

- Half Moon Cay. Out of all the ports, this was my favorite. It was absolutely stunning. The water was so clear that when we swam out as far as we were allowed (probably 15 feet deep), we could still see the bottom. Insane. The day was so relaxing and since it's Carnival's island, they had food for you so you didn't have to get back on the ship. Loved everything about it.

- Epic Rock Show- This is the top rated show in the Carnival fleet--and for good reason. It was spectacular!! They sing songs you'll know and they sing them well! The technology is amazing, too! All of the shows onboard were good, but this one blew me away.

- Cruise Director Donkey- he's awesome, Australian and did an amazing job!

I hope that gives you enough to go on because I really could type all day. Definitely recommend this cruise to anyone looking to get away. I would hands down do this exact cruise again.

Cruise Photos

The rooms are small, but functional. The size is fine seeing as you're only in there to change your clothes and sleep. If you have lots of things to plug in, bring a power strip as there is only 1 outlet. I didn't realize this before going, but they supply robes, which was a pleasant surprise! Our room steward, Dedy was amazing. We would leave for 2 seconds and the room would be cleaned. A warning for interior rooms is that it is VERY DARK when all the lights are off, so if you're the type of person who needs natural light to wake up, make sure you set an alarm or a wake-up call because it would be very easy to sleep through half the day--the beds are comfy and the room is dark. Perfect combo if you ask me.
It was as smooth as it could possibly be. The only complaint I heard several people make was during the Muster Drill, which I appreciate and know is required, but from what I was hearing from experienced cruisers, this one took way too long.
Disembarkation went smoothly and we got off ahead of schedule. As long as you read the directions clearly everything is very simple.
Everything was ship shape! (Sorry for the pun!)
Half Moon Cay- AMAZING 10/10
Nassau- We went to Atlantis and it was also amazing, but did not live up to my expectations, sadly. 8/10
Freeport- Not as much to do, but still beautiful. We got off the ship only to visit the shops right near the port. 5/10
There's no way you can be board on a Carnival cruise. So many things to do!!
I only rate this in the middle because I didn't have any kids with me, but it seems like they do a great job and there are lots of things available for kids.
Amazing, amazing shows!
It seems like everyone loves their job..or is at least happy to do it. You don't see that anywhere else. So many smiling faces!
EVERYTHING was amazing. Especially the Dining Room staff. You never get service like you get on a cruise ship. Second to none. It's also really cool to have waiters from all over the world all in one place. We had people from Bosnia, Japan, Philippines and many other places!
Port Canaveral, Florida
Half Moon Cay, Bahamas (Private Island)
Beautiful, beautiful place. Island BBQ line was a little confusing, but know there are several lines and that big giant one isn't the only one. You'll see what I mean if you go.
Freeport, Grand Bahama Island

HAVE FUN and relax. Use the Carnival HUB app to schedule your days. If you're 21+, go the whole way to the top deck of the ship in the front and hang out in one of the pods in Serenity. It was so relaxing and there's shade if it's really hot or you've had too much sun.