Good vacation

Carnival Sunrise Cruise Review to Caribbean - Eastern

Cruises: 2-3 cruises

Overall rating:

Carnival Sunrise

8 Night Exotic Eastern Caribbean (New York Roundtrip)

Sail date: August 27, 2019

Ship: Carnival Sunrise

Cabin type: Inside

Cabin number: 5334

Traveled as: Family (young children)

Review summary

I learned my lesson, no more cruising leaving from NY and going to Caribbean, too much time spent on ship, and the ship was overcrowded and small.

Embarkation

Fast, no problems

Ship experiences

The buffet was always crowded. I have been on other ships that had different system for buffet and it worked much better.

The pools were very small

Shows were good, comedy show was also good, the cruise director is a very good entertainer.

My son was almost 2 (3 weeks away from his birthday). I was very unhappy about the way they handled the communications. We stopped in PR, we got there late due to hurricane. We were told in the morning about what time we were getting into port. We had an excursion booked, and we were supposed to back on ship at 8:30 pm or so. We had to cancel the excursion because there was nobody that could babysit my son. I only wanted to have my son taken care off while we were on shore, when we could not take him with us, and they didn't accommodate us.

Richard our room steward was excellent, same thing with Anamaria the guest service person that handled our request / complains. The cruise was better because of these people. Claire (hostesses in the dining room), Florin (the manager in the dining room), Marian (Team Headwaiter), Ernesto (Team Headwaiter), Putu (Team Waiter), and Roland (Assist. team waiter), made our cruise so much better. They were excellent. In the first few days, or at lunch there were some waiters that didn't know what they were doing, that is why I only gave 4 starts.

I think the ship was small and overcrowded. It was clean for most part.

Small, but that is what we paid for.

Ship tip

If you have kids under 2, don't go on a cruise. Also, if you like to have more action (stop in more ports), don't take a cruise that has more days at sea than days in ports.

Ports of call

New York, New York Did not visit port

We live in NY

Grand Turk Island

Good excursion, a little short. We had the longest time in this port and there is not much to do, except go to the beach, and beach related activities. It is beautiful nothing to say about that.

San Juan, Puerto Rico

The time spent in this port was short and we arrived late, which didn't give us much to do.

Amber Cove (Puerto Plata), Dominican Republic

Loved the excursion and the time spent on this port.

Disembarkation