Not a good first experience

Carnival Splendor Cruise Review to Caribbean - Bahamas

Cruises: 1 cruise (first)

Overall rating:

Carnival Splendor

4 Night Bahamas (Ft. Lauderdale Roundtrip)

Sail date: September 14, 2017

Ship: Carnival Splendor

Cabin type: Inside

Cabin number: 1397

Traveled as: Couple

Review summary

Overall this was not a good first experience; it's to the point that I do not care to be on another cruise again if it's always like this. I prefer an all inclusive resort, it seems more personable and not as overwhelming with a lot of people.

Embarkation

Very frustrating. Please see details below.

Ship experiences

Buffet and dining room were good once we got a hang of their food schedule. The pizza line is ridiculous, I spent an hour waiting. The staff working in the pizza section need to think of another operational way to get those pizzas out faster; even the employees working in that section look frustrated. To top it off, the pizza was not even good.

There's literally one guy that does everything. Although he works very hard at entertaining everyone, he's the only one that does it. We went to the comedy show and the comedians were not funny.

The DJ was good. The Spanish performers in the casino was pleasant to here; I wish they were around more.

When u finally enter in the ship, the staff does not greet you and are not helpful at all. They automatically assume that you know where you are going. The staff is very robotic and is not engaging at all. The housekeeper was the only one that was friendly and greeted me every morning. For someone that does not know anything about cruises, I was very frustrated with not knowing where to go. I felt like a number or just another cruise sailing.

The room was clean and tidy. The staff is very focused on assuring the facilities are clean. The pool design is very weird, I am not sure if it's because it's on a ship but we had no desire in going in the pool.

The room was very small but I guess we'll know if we ever consider on going on another cruise again.

Ship tip

First time cruisers should have a personal concierge at least for the 1st hour of their arrival. The cruise should have multiple activity engagement people. Carnival should not slave their employees to the point that they cannot even talk to the guests. They work hard but they are very robotic and they look overwhelmed.

Ports of call

Ft. Lauderdale (Port Everglades), Florida

The Ft Lauderdale port is very confusing. There are no signs hinting where to go and the elevators were out. There are two entrances to the main security area and we were told to go all the way to the back since the other people we coming from the other entrance. .

Half Moon Cay, Bahamas (Private Island)

The water was beautiful but it's literally an island with nothing to do. Carnival nickel and dime you for everything.

We took a tour and it was a pleasant experience per the tour guide. We immediately got back in the ship once we completed the tour.

Disembarkation