Carnival Spirit Cruise Review to Hawaii

Great Value for a Hawaiian Getaway

Sail Date: May 02, 2008

The ship is fairly nice. The standard Carnival style layout. Mini-golf on the top deck was neat.

Pros: the 7 nights in Hawaii at 5 different ports

Cons: the 5 days at sea back to Vancouver

Recommends Carnival Spirit? Yes!

We had an interior stateroom at the front of the ship on the 4th level. Since the ship wasnt that big, it was fine to walk to the other end. This unit was right behind the docked tender/lifeboat ships so there was a window with an obstructed view even though it is a interior stateroom. However whenever the tender boats needed to be used, the lound grinding noise from the lowering gears would be heard bright and early in the morning, destroying any peaceful sleep. But, once the boat was lowered, the cabin had a nice view. Fortunately, the tender was used only a couple times and we had to wake up at that time anyways. The beds were hard and had sunken a bit in the middle. The pillows were fluffy but lumpy. Wasn't as comfortable as I remember from the Carnival Liberty. the bathroom had a funky smell from the toilet even tho it was relatively clean. Some air freshener would have been nice. The corner nightstand was really dusty and it looked like no one has ever cleaned underneath the bed.
The ship staff was absolutely delightful. Very pleasant and polite. Dining room staff was the best.
Ship was smaller than the other one I was on (Carnival Liberty). This was good in the sense that it didnt take very long to walk from one end to the other. Bad in the sense that there is less to explore.
The food was a hit and miss in the dining room and in the buffett. I found that either the food was really good or really bad. Although I thought all the desserts were delicious!
I personally found the activities and shows to be fairly dry (I'm 24). However the seniors, who were about a 90% majority on this trip absolutely loved the bingo, trivia, and flamboyant dancing shows. I can understand the need to cater to the majority.
Hilo, Hawaii
Rained hard in the morning. Volcano National Park was amazing. Mauna Loa Factory was a waste of time unless you're really into Macadamia Nuts. If I could do it again, I would cab it to the Volcano National Park and explore the hiking trails that go on the lavarock surface rather than book the excursion with the tour group that just looks from afar.
Don't Miss: Volcano National Park
Kailua-Kona, Hawaii
I rented a Kayak and paddled around the harbour which was pretty fun. Nothing really special about the shops along the street. Riding the free trolly around was a bit of a waste of time unless you have nothing better planned.
Don't Miss: Kona Coffee
Lahaina, Maui
Maui is my favorite of all. For thrill seekers, rent a car and drive the Hana Highway. The view is amazing and the drive is both adrenaline pumped and life threatening. Bad combination but was totally worth it. Makena beach is gorgeous. Powdery white sand and crystal clear water. Sea turtles and snorkelling open to the public. The Snorkel Adventure excursion would have been cool if it wasnt so windy and unable to go to the crater. Check the forecast before booking it.
Don't Miss: Hana Highway, Makena Beach, Wailea Area/Beach
Nawiliwili, Kauai
The snorkel excursion we booked was fun but a ripoff. You could easily buy some snorkel gear and catch a cab out to a nice beach and have a longer, cheaper, and better time.
Honolulu, Oahu
Gorgeous city. Vibrant and exciting. Perfect place to start a Hawaiian vacation. Busier than the other places on the trip though.
Don't Miss: Waikiki Beach