The best part of our First Cruise was CANCELED !! ? !!

Carnival Sensation Cruise Review to Caribbean - Eastern

Cruises: 1 cruise (first)

Overall rating:

Carnival Sensation

5 Night Eastern Caribbean (Miami Roundtrip)

Sail date: November 21, 2016

Ship: Carnival Sensation

Cabin type: Oceanview

Cabin number: E74

Traveled as: Couple

Review summary

I selected this Cruise to go to Turks & Caicos, and had arranged a speaking engagement for myself with local business people upon docking in Grand Turk.  But the Ship didn’t even dock, due to high winds.  We choose that trip to go to Grand Turk.  I didn’t care about going to the Bahamas - but that was far too cold to comfortably snorkel, at both locations.  Though Half Moon Cay was warmer, there was no coral in sight there, plus it was still cold.

It seems to me, that the Cruise Company KNOWS that it is too cold to go in the water at this time EVERY YEAR, yet they persist in taking those particular paths for their cruises.  I could have flown to anywhere, and given the ridiculous price for the Airfare, other departure venues then MIA would have been cheaper.  I talked to a couple on Board, who said that on a previous November Cruise, a different Port of Call was canceled due to wind and cold.

As a first time cruiser, I felt I had been taken advantage of, both by American Airlines, (that doubled their airfare as soon as I booked by Cruise through their travel affiliate), and by the Carnival company, who used the word “Caribbean” to imply warm weather, but who by experience, should know that going to these places will neither be warm, nor will they be insuring that the promised Ports will be visited.

I made this choice, to go to Grand Turk!  We never docked!  I didn’t know that was an option!  People in several Nations were aware that I was holding that meeting on Grand Turks.  No one was happy that I never arrived.

The food was generally very good.  The food service people in the main dining room did an outstanding job, as they did in the less formal dining area.

Without going into details, the “culture” of the Cruise experience showed the worst of the social changes in America.  My mouth dropped open a lot, even though I am very well traveled.

So bottom line, I was disappointed over  all.  If you are going to say “Caribbean Cruise”, then go someplace WARM!

I could have just as easily flown to Puerto Rica and gone south, but thought that I was headed where it was warm out of MIA.   And if the odds are that in November, you won’t be able to dock in a given Port, don’t promise that you can!

It wasn’t impressed, overall.

Neil Nelles

Ship experiences

Facilities were inadequate for the demand. People were wedged into the Hot Tubs like sardines!

Marriage game was funny. But the comedians seem to think that to be funny, you only have to say any stupid think, and add an “F” word or some other trash talk, and that yields funny. I thought they were pretty sorry. The “Dancers” were way too lewd for our taste.

Formal Dining Room staff was outstanding! Thought that the drunken sing a longs almost every night reduced the enjoyment of our room, which was just around the corner on the same deck. Never occurred to me that this would be an issue.

HOWEVER - due to the assumption that everyone wants to spend hours investigating your web site and wading through the legal-eeze, I didn’t learn where the Gym was till the last day. They said “the sign is on the door”, but the door was always open, meaning the only way I would see it, is if I first walked into the Beauty Parlor/Spa area. Guys usually don’t do that. So I thought the term “Sport Deck” was used to refer to the access to the roof top walking area, that was accessed off that floor.

Tight - windows needed washing - too noisy every night till very late.

Ship tip

I’d tell them about the location of the Gym. If they were going in the Fall or Winter, I’d tell them not to go - too cold - too much chance that you won’t get to dock as promised.

Ports of call

Miami, Florida

Well familiar with Miami prior to arrival.

TOO COLD! And inadequate time to see anything beyond the extra tour - which was TOO COLD!

Half Moon Cay, Bahamas (Private Island)

Too cold - and no Coral or Fish. Fine if you are treating little kids to swim - except TOO COLD!

Grand Turk Island

Never got on shore - and feel I should be compensated for that, since it was the reason I chose the trip!