Wonderful cruise on our favorite (so far) class of Ship the Dream class

Carnival Magic Cruise Review to Caribbean - Eastern

Cruises: 4-6 cruises

Overall rating:

Carnival Magic

6 Night Eastern Caribbean (Ft. Lauderdale Roundtrip)

Sail date: January 12, 2020

Ship: Carnival Magic

Traveled as: Couple

Review summary

Overall a great ship, great ports with a variety of excursions available. We would definitely like to travel on the Magic again and the cruise director (Simon London) was a real hoot and my husband (who is british as well) really enjoyed chatting with him when we saw him at various points.

Embarkation

Ship experiences

We actually splurged on this cruise and did one night at the italian which was heavenly and we also had sushi under the stars with a movie on the last night. I think we''d like to do that again because it was quite relaxing and the price was definitely right!

pools, waterslides, serenity deck, Spa cabin so we spent quite a bit of time in the spa rooms with the heated beds and steam rooms. Our main goal on this trip was to relax and visit new ports which we did and we did well!

We always enjoy the shows on board and spent one evening in the Alchemy bar where they had musicians playing as well. Quite enjoyable. We also did the Quest . . . but we can''t about that ;)

We always have excellent service on Carnival cruises and this was no exception.

it was fine for us. We love the dream class layout because it feels really easy to move from the front to the back of the ship for various activities.

We had a spa interior on the 11th floor (I can''t remember the number because I procrastinated this review too long) It had more space than we expected (first time my husband had an interior cabin) and was always clean and tidy. We swapped our spa robes a couple times and it was no problem for the steward.

Ship tip

Relax and enjoy

Ports of call

Ft. Lauderdale (Port Everglades), Florida

we don't see this as a port we see it as a starting point. We stayed at a crappy expensive hotel the night before and would probably stay an hour away next time to avoid the bad hotels.

Half Moon Cay, Bahamas (Private Island)

We loved the snorkeling here especially since they had placed objects that attracted fish and allowed us to snorkel on our own without an excursion. We also enjoyed the vendors that came around offering drinks without being pushy. Had a great time.

Grand Turk Island

While it was fun to get in the water in the shadow of the ship the snorkeling at the beach was really poor. We didn't realize all this had to offer and would definitely like to return to Grand Turk to see more of the area.

Amber Cove (Puerto Plata), Dominican Republic

We did an ATV excursion which was really good. I do wish the ATV guys would have let me have time to get my go pro camera attached properly before our first stop. I didn't need 3 laps around the track (i'm a seasoned atv rider) but I did need to stop and secure the equipment. I'll be prepared when we do another to do it faster and stand my ground. Overall though we did enjoy the excursion and it was a beautiful setting while we waited for our group to go on the ATV's

Disembarkation