Carnival Magic Cruise Review to Caribbean - Western

What A Disaster

Sail Date: November 14, 2011

I have sailed on Carnival six times and this by far was the worst one I have been on. Before sailing from Galveston, TX Carnival knew of an issue with one of the water jets under the ship that had attempted to be repaired in the Bahamas for two days and in Galveston, TX for two days as well. After debarking, they notified the passengers that the port call to Costa Maya had been cancelled and that the ship would be docked in Progresso, MX for two days while they attempted to repair the issue again. In a vain attempt to make up for this Carnival credited all guests $25 to their sign and sail account which was pathetic at best. Also the ship due to the issue was extremely rough and was not at all relaxing in any way. There were so many passenger on board that the line at the mongolian grill took 45 minutes to go through due to not having enough crew to cook the food. It also seemed that when the crew got tired of serving passengers that they closed the buffet lines and told people standing in line the buffet was closed. This happened at various times each day and was very aggrivating. Also, the pizza station never had pizza ready and the deli had one crew member that was too busy talking to the other crew member assisting him to take your order. Also Carnival stopped most of the special events that we have become acustom to over the years and there wern't any special parties or events that you would think they would have being an inagural cruise. Also the crew was not trained prior to sailing and they were being trained during the whole cruise. Dining at night was slow some evenings and fast others due to this. In the rooms they have the emergency pull alarms like in hospitals in case of an emergency. The alarms were malfunctioning throughout the whole cruise and when I told the emergency operator what was going on they would not assist me in any way to fix the issue. The only thing they said was tell your cabin steward and then would hang up. Also I used the internet cafe' and chose to do pay as you go at $.75 per minute. I found out that even after logging out and verifying that I logged out it after being on for no more than 10 - 15 minutes, I was charged over $40 the first time and over $130 the second time. They did fix the issue but I will never use the internet cafe' on board ship ever again due to this. I'll tell you one thing, I don't know if I will book with Carnival in the future after this experience, STAY AWAY FROM THE MAGIC!

Pros: The service in the dining room

Cons: The fact that Carnival knew they had a mechanical problem that required skipping the port call to Costa Maya and going to Progresso for two days and not informing guests prior to the ship debarking from Galveston.

Recommends Carnival Magic? No.