Carnival Liberty Cruise Review to Caribbean - Western

Second Mate

Good short getaway

Sail Date: June 27, 2016

I want to be helpful to those who have not cruised and have cruised before. This was the perfect, last minute, quick get away for my wife and me for our anniversary without the kids. This was our second time on the Carnival Liberty as we took it out of Florida.  I am little biased because I like Carnival; my wife likes another cruise line. We had an inside cabin on the Rivera (deck 1). The Carnival Liberty is part of the Conquest Class of ships (Conquest, Glory, Valor, and Freedom) are all sister ships. It does not have all the bells and whistles of the newer Carnival ships, but it will do for this itinerary.  It has a twister slide, an ample pool size where adults and children play, and Jacuzzi's as well as a separate pool and 2 Jacuzzi's (for adults only) in the back of the ship. It has plenty of open space for sun bathers. It has quiet areas for those who don't wish to take in a lot of sun for reading, relaxing, sleeping or whatever you wish (Serenity Deck) for adults only.  If you want the same thing with an ocean view and ocean breeze, try (Deck 3) on both sides of the ship (most people don't know about it). The only thing, one side is for smoking and the other side is for non smokers and the non-smoking side fills quickly after the 3rd day because everyone has found this little hide away. It is great for taking family pictures at Sunset as well as all day relaxing on sea days. I love the jogging trail at the top, rear of the ship. It is nothing like jogging/walking/exercising and watching the sunrises and sunsets with ocean breezes. It just takes me away. (I am ready to go again just thinking about it.) The ship has a megatron screen that shows at least one movie per night under the stars.  My wife and I are movie buffs and we look forward to watching the "Dive in Movies" as they call it; they have list of the movies/times they will show each night in the daily FunTimes; arrive at least 30 minutes prior as the good seats fill up quickly.  I always look forward to the shows on every cruise, but since this was a 5 day; they did not have a magic show.  The comedy shows were great. The food was good.

First, I have to tell you our cabin steward was soo AWESOME. He made our stay as enjoyable as he could. He was very pleasant and professional. This was our first time on the Rivera (deck 1) so I don't know if this was because it was the lower deck or if this was an off incident for this particular sailing. 1. The room temperature in the cabin was horrible. I did complain to guest services and to maintenance. Maintenance recorded the temp at 73 and said it was within company guidelines. Maintenance suggested I get a fan from guest services as there was nothing we could do. However, I was not the only one to complain as there were at least 5 other cabins to complain. After speaking with guest services; I was told there was nothing they could do and there was no fan available. After complaining, the temperature was very good the next day, but the 3rd day it returned to being warm again.
Carnival now has a schedule time to arrive at port. Since we have cruised so much with them and we like to arrive early, there was no waiting at all. However, if you arrive before your time, they do offer a holding area before boarding. As far as debarkation, we were in no rush to get off, we took our time, had breakfast in the dinning room, and leisurely got off the ship with no problems. However, Galveston has made additions to the cruise terminal and it was a much longer stroll to get off the ship. Although we had no problems or delays the walk was longer to get off (but who cares we need the exercise right?)
The temperature was not good all over the ship(auditorium, cabins, comedy club and dance clubs.) I have cruised several Carnival ships including this ship before and I have never experienced problem with temperature that was not corrected or addressed. I don't know if Carnival is saving money or whether this was a one time incident. At first I thought it was me, but after speaking with several passengers they too agreed the temperature was a little bit warm. The ship was very clean and well kept it was just too warm.
We have cruised this itinerary so much we didn't get off at Progreso because there is really not much to do there. I think in the near future this may a port where Carnival will not visit. Cozumel is Cozumel. It is very beautiful but since so many ships come through each week they don't do very much haggling in the port.
I like the shows, comedy shows, the movies, and the dance club.
Since we did not have children this time, I cannot properly rate this area. I can only tell you about Camp Carnival from previous experience. It is great for families. Carnival will keep your children on port days while you go ashore if you wish at no charge. Otherwise on sea days, you can take them morning, afternoon, and evening. This allows parents to enjoy their time alone. My children (9 & 6yrs) absolutely love Camp carnival and so do we.
I like the shows each night in the auditorium. We enjoyed the dance club. The comedy shows were great as they had 2 comedians and we went to both the family and adult shows. As mentioned earlier we like the movies shown on the big screen monitor on Deck 9.
The service was good; but as an experienced cruiser I did notice some small areas for improvement for returning guests. Our Cabin Steward was the best!
1. I love the Blue Iguana Cantina for the Tacos at breakfast and lunch. They are so good as you can tell by the made to order lines. 2. The Wok is AWESOME as the line fills quickly. Carnival does a lot food made to order which takes time to cook and therefore lines form; however don't let that deter you, there is food all over the Lido (deck 9). 3. The pizza (back of the ship) was really good this time. 4. We only went to the dinning room on 2 nights as my wife and I just wanted to getaway and relax; however, we did go to the dinning from for breakfast 5. Guys Burger Joint is the ultimate way to clog the arteries (the fries and burgers are so juicy and good)
Galveston, Texas
it is close to home and we like a quick get away. Arrive at your appointment time to avoid holding areas
It is a beautiful port, but I have been there done that.
Progreso (Merida), Mexico
I don't think Carnival will renew this contract for this port.