Carnival Imagination Cruise Review to Caribbean - Western

A Good Cruise

Sail Date: October 25, 2010

Traveled As: Family w/young children

I only have previous experience on the Norwegian Sky and was told that if I liked that ship, I would absolutely love the Carnival Imagination. I actually found the Imagination lacking in comparison - except for the water slide which was a nice addition to our previous cruise.

My main complaint with Carnival is that I really felt they were trying to get me to spend more money. I never felt that with Norwegian. A good example: Carnival announced on overhead speakers and put in the daily newspaper that children could play laser tag one afternoon. When parents arrived with children all excited about the event, we learned that it costs $5 for 5 minutes. Some parents pulled kids away kicking and screaming. I paid so my son wouldn't be disappointed - but it felt we were put in that position on purpose because it would be more difficult to say no to our children at that point. Things that are available for a fee should always be marked in the newsletters and in announcements. The feeling persisted throughout the entire cruise.

Pros: The never-ending attention and support of the staff

Cons: some logistical arrangements

Recommends Carnival Imagination? No.

It was fine - just didn't do much for me for some reason - and I'm not a picky person.
Golden Buffet on water. That's what it felt like. The nice dining hall was usually closed when we came from ports or at other critical moments. Hours changed each day and it was difficult to remember when it would be open. When we did dine in the formal dining room, the food and service were excellent. But on the Lido deck, the buffet...well. We all seemed to congregate at the same time and there were always long lines. People were frustrated. There were just not that many options for dining as I had experienced on my previous cruise. And the food was just so-so, honestly.
The bathroom was spacious - bedding was very nice.
There was a show every other night. The two we were able to see were truly wonderful. Comedians in between offered good laughs.
Absolutely exceptional in every way!
Very, very good. Truly supportive - go out of their way to make sure the children have a good experience.
Key West, Florida
We went on the Catamaran excursion "The Fury". The weather was too choppy ans so the snorkeling was dismal. That wasn't anyone's fault, though, and the staff of the Fury worked hard to make it an enjoyable experience. Because it took us longer onboard (we had to go to a sand bar further out because the water was so rough) we only had 1/2 hour for shopping before boarding ship again. But it was absolutely wonderful.
Don't Miss: Time to just be in the center of town and explore.
Absolutely loved our trip to Chankanaab and snorkeling, gardens. There are dolphins, manatees, seals. Showers, changing rooms. Everything you need. We took a cab to the town and had some time to shop. All of the local people were extraordinarily helpful.
Don't Miss: Chankanaab. It is amazingly beautiful.