Wouldn't go again.

Carnival Horizon Cruise Review to Caribbean - Western

Cruises: 2-3 cruises

Overall rating:

Carnival Horizon

6 Night Western Caribbean (Miami Roundtrip)

Sail date: January 19, 2020

Ship: Carnival Horizon

Cabin type: Suite

Cabin number: 7353

Traveled as: Family (young children)

Review summary

I wish I wasn't so bitter, but when you pay this much for a vacation you expect to be at least somewhat happy. If it wasn't for the VERY lacking buffet and incredibly rude 'all about me' mentality that seemed to rule the ship, it might have been a decent experience. Having to sit directly behind people screaming, swearing, giving the finger, etc in a child based setting was angering. Walking out on to my balcony (which overlooked a deck) at 3:30am to see a couple hooking up was disturbing. My relax time was ruined daily by the stupid acts of adults on the ship. All the kids on the ship were fantastic. They just did their kid thing. The excursions that we booked were all well done. The staff was great.

Embarkation

The embarkation process was very quick and painless. We were impressed with how fast we were on board.

Ship experiences

We did not eat in the MDR. We opted for the buffet. It was a terrible experience. The items were incredibly limited with the same items being offered in all areas. No variety. There was literally a day my daughter and I had a couple slices of fruit and a bun for dinner. The ice cream was good.

We did the rope climbing course, and the sky rider bikes. They were fun. We also played a lot of mini golf. They were decent holes for a cruise ship. The pools were crowded, as expected. But the pool at the back of the ship seemed to get a lot of the exhaust blowing right through that area.

None of the shows appealed to us. A 20's themed music show, late night adult comedy etc. The solo artist in the main area was fantastic.

My daughter tried this for one day and was out within an hour because she was bored. I gave it 3 stars because I don't think she really gave it a chance.

The staff was very kind and friendly. Not a single complaint about them. Wonderful people.

It is a beautiful ship. And very clean. The only thing I didn't like was the smoking casino you HAD to walk through to get to other areas, unless you wanted to back track, go up a level, cross, go down, and walk back to the area you were originally headed. I'm not a smoker and the smell makes me nauseous. The buffet was split into two areas which was hugely inconvenient, considering you were always hoping (but always disappointed) that there would be a different 6 dishes on the other side.

The cabin was great, and always clean. Plenty of room. Lot's of storage. Large balcony.

Ship tip

The ship is gorgeous. Many of the 'adults' are less mature than the children. If swearing, having sex on the deck right outside where your balcony overlooks, almost getting into a brawl during the Clue games, shouting out sexual innuendos with children everywhere, giving each other the finger...I could go on and on...if that wouldn't bother you than this is the ship to be on. Ruined my holiday.

Ports of call

Miami, Florida

Beautiful busy city with lots to walk around and look at.

Ocho Rios, Jamaica

Very pushy sales people at the port, and a super tiny port area. We did not travel out of the barbed wire fence off area on our own, but opted for an excursion. Absolutely stunning country though. We got a lot of great scenic pic.

George Town, Grand Cayman

I can't really rate the usual port you would dock at. We had to go to another area about 15 minutes away from the usual spot because of the rough sea. There wasn't anything there to see or do. But we booked a great excursion so we were not stuck with the options of taking a taxi to Georgetown, or hanging out on the ship all day.

We stayed in port and did some shopping. There were lots of souvenir stores with excellent prices, which was what we were looking for. It also had many higher-end stores if that's your thing. The port area is quite big with some nice areas for photos.

Disembarkation

We booked an excursion to disembark. We were an hour and a half late for this, but it had nothing to do with the ship. I believe it was a customs thing.