Carnival seems to have lost their MAGIC.......

Carnival Glory Cruise Review to Caribbean - Western

Cruises: 7+ cruises

Overall rating:

Carnival Glory

5 Night Western Caribbean (New Orleans Roundtrip)

Sail date: March 16, 2019

Ship: Carnival Glory

Cabin type: Balcony

Cabin number: 8263

Traveled as: Large Group

Review summary

We went on this cruise knowing it was Spring Break and that was OK with me I just wanted to see the Grand kids have a good time. They had a great time and that was good for me. It's just knowing how Carnival use to be with service and food that disappointed me. I will still cruise on, maybe not with Carnival so much but I figure a day cruising is better than being at work.

Embarkation

Parking at the port of New Orleans was a complete shambles. They just kept directing people to the parking garage and there was NO parking left there. After making the complete round of the garage in traffic they finally directed me to a parking spot outside right beside the entrance that I waited 20 mins to get into..... Carnival tho has got the Embarkation routine down to a science. It was as smooth as can be. Less than 20 minutes from start to going to the ship.

Ship experiences

The food was OK... There was more food than anyone could or should eat at any time. It just didn't have that magic, that AHA moment you have when something was outstanding. The Lido Deck was always busy and people were definitely filling their plates. There was a pretty good variety of food there for a hungry person. I really enjoyed the Blue Iguana Mexican Grill. Their breakfast burritos and tacos were a big hit with our family. Now Guy's Burgers didn't do anything for me. I kept hearing about how good they were, but honestly a bit to greasy and not a lot of flavor. The Golden Dining room was very pleasant but there again the food was just OK no Magic.

Deli

How hard would it be to have a Panini machine? Sandwiches had soggy bread/rolls from the microwave.

The Grand Buffet

Did I miss this???? Maybe they considered the Lido Deck Red Sails the Grand Buffet..... Not really grand.

Being Spring Break you couldn't touch a pool or hot tub. The grand-kids really enjoyed the water slides. It was just fun people watching around the pool area.

Camel Club Casino

Smoked filled room where you couldn't stay for more than a minute or two without gagging on cigarette smoke.

The musicians in the Lobby stage area were pretty good and the one show that we saw was very good.

Grand kids liked it for the first couple of days and then grew bored. They just wanted to get in the pool, slide and watch the Dive in movies.

Marie and Conrad in the Golden Dining Room were exceptional. We had Anytime dining so we had to swap between the two but they really went out of their way to make us feel special. Marie was extra great with our two grandsons. Making sure they had everything they wanted. She even played puzzles with them. The youngest grandson liked her so much he went out on the floor to dance with her on a show night. Very cute!!! My room steward was another story....I seen him maybe 2 times in the corridor, never in our room. The room was really never cleaned and the sheets were never changed for the entire 5 days.

Glory is really showing her age. There was a lot of rust and broken areas on the ship. Our balcony had several big area of rust and corrosion on it. For the most part Carnival tried to keep it as clean and neat as can be.

When we first got in our cabin I checked the refrigerator and it wasn't working. I got hold of the room steward and told him and he said he would get it fixed. The bed was very comfortable and was a great surprise. (Been on a lot of cruises where the bed was awful.) The room was in close proximity to the glass elevators that went straight down to the lobby. Needless to say the music was very noticeable until the early morning. Turning on the TV for back ground noise solved that problem. Now back to the refrigerator... 2 days later still not working, finally they working the day before we finished our cruise.

Ship tip

Carnival is a Fun Ship. If you want a lot of activities and drinking this is the way to go. If you can not take cigarette smoke stay away from the casino... it was a giant cloud of cigarette smoke.

Ports of call

Very busy, 6 cruise ships docked. We enjoyed a great lunch and some shopping.

Progreso (Merida), Mexico

Took the 2 grandsons fishing with Yucatan Snook charters. Bob our guide kept the boys interest going and we all had a great time.

Disembarkation

It went smoothly and without a hitch.