Carnival Freedom Cruise Review to Caribbean - Western

Great trip and experience, all round

Sail Date: May 28, 2016

I enjoyed the variety of on-board activities, the Shows every night, and the variety of music at various venues.  I also enjoyed the clean, comfortable and spacious cabin  (which I occupied by myself - but had to pay double the advertised twin-share price for, rather than a Single Supplement).  I also enjoyed the very comfortable King Sized bed, and especially the Balcony where I could sit out well into the early hours of the morning, just enjoying the fresh sea air, the roar of the waves beneath, and of course the millions of stars in the night sky. The service was also great - and the staff polite, friendly and helpful at all times - and of course, the variety of plentiful food, for which cruises are renowned.

Spacious, clean, comfortable balcony cabin, serviced not once but twice each day, and a very comfortable King Size bed and pillows. Great stewards (as always), who worked very hard and who offered exceptional, polite, friendly service at all times.
Embarkation and Disembarkation The embarkation process was very well organized, smooth and relatively quick. The disembarkation from the ship was also very well organized and smooth - and while some of the staff in the terminal were helpful and polite, a couple of the ground staff there were down-right rude. Once outside the terminal everything was chaotic. We returned to thunderstorms and flash-floods in Galveston on 4/6/16, there was minimal undercover shelter anywhere outside for those of us who had to wait for shuttle buses and no one who was directing people outside appeared to know where to direct people to wait. Consequently I was misdirected FOUR times, & had to walk back & forth, in the pouring rain, outside & along the length of the terminal, managing my luggage by myself - was drenched in the process, and then had to wait for some time for my shuttle bus & remain in wet clothes until I was finally able to check in to my Houston hotel several hours later. This was unacceptable and an unfortunate end to a great cruise.
I prefer smaller ships - this was the largest one on which I have travelled, and I was told on enquiring that it carried approximately 3,600 passengers + crew - which would not normally be my preference.
Galveston, Texas
Montego Bay, Jamaica
George Town, Grand Cayman
I cannot really rate Cozumel because I did not remain on the island. I chose instead to take the ferry across to the Yucatan Peninsula, and then the bus trip, so I could visit the Mayan ruins at Tulum. The guide on this trip was EXCEPTIONALLY well-informed and a mine of information on the Mayan civilization (and I have been travelling the world for 40 years so have some basis for comparison!).

Make sure you take a small folding umbrella or hat (for the heat) while on excursions, and at least a lightweight rain cape/coat with hood in case of unseasonal weather.