Will choose another cruise line in the future

Carnival Elation Cruise Review to Caribbean - Bahamas

Cruises: 1 cruise (first)

Overall rating:

Carnival Elation

4 Night Bahamas (Port Canaveral Roundtrip)

Sail date: November 07, 2019

Ship: Carnival Elation

Cabin type: Suite

Cabin number: U101

Traveled as: Couple

Review summary

This was our first cruise. If we do decide to do another, we are choosing a different cruise line.

Embarkation

Getting aboard the ship was very easy. Lots of people around to help direct you to where you needed to go.

Ship experiences

The buffet area reminded me of hospital food...not the worst but not the best, either. The main sit down dining room....the waiters were awesome. Very friendly and talkative. The food would arrive warm...at best. If you wanted anything to drink besides water, you had to pay for it. If you wanted a specialty item for dinner, (steaks, etc) it was an extra $20/person. Our first night dining there, it took over 2 hours from start to finish and we got there shortly after the restaurant opened. By the 4th night, things ran a lot more smoothly.

We went to the casino a couple of times but didn’t really do any of the shows or comedy club. My husband and I like to retire early. Some of these shows didn’t start until 10:00. The activities were not accommodating for all age groups. We aren’t the type that want to stay up all night partying.

We did manage to make one show and the singers were very talented. Okay

All of the staff were very friendly

For the most part, the ship was clean. They need to do a major facelift with Elation, though. Only one main elevator worked and from past reviews, the other has been down for quite a while. There were other areas where moulding and paneling was lifting. I don’t blame the staff though...they only do what they can. I do blame the cruise line for not keeping up with all ship maintenance.

The size of the cabin was nice. The extended balcony was also a plus. Our steward kept our cabin very clean and stocked. The reason for the 2 stars is because our bathroom smelled of raw sewage. Immediately I informed our steward. He came in and wiped everything back down with disinfectant. The cleanliness wasn’t the issue. It was down in the pipes somewhere. The smell was coming up through the bathtub and some drain in the bathroom floor. It was nasty and 3 out of 4 days, I complained about the odor. They sent the plumber once. I’m not sure what they did, but it didn’t help the sewage smell. Also, the sliding shower door had mold growing on it in areas that couldn’t be scrubbed. I never felt clean after taking a shower. Like I stated earlier, this entire ship needs major updating and a facelift.

Ship tip

Choose a different ship or cruise line.

Ports of call

Port Canaveral, Florida

We ported out of this area

Nassau is beautiful. Lots of little shops. The taxi drivers weren’t very friendly but everyone else was. We did the SUB-adventure as our excursion. Had a good time. The motor on my sub wasn’t very powerful so one of the guides had to literally pull mine along as he swam.

Freeport, Grand Bahama Island

Freeport had many shops and in my opinion, the people were friendlier than Nassau. We did the dolphin encounter and it was the highlight of my trip. It was just my husband and I and the dolphin trainer (we went in off season). We didn’t have to share our time with Sandy (the dolphin) which made the experience that much better.

Disembarkation

It was a little more confusing getting off the ship. I think because everyone was ready to get off and on their way.