Carnival Elation Cruise Review to Caribbean - Western

smokers killed it

Sail Date: February 21, 2015

This was a surprise gift for my 50th birthday. My first ever cruise (i usually fly to my destination ). The smoking section was the center of the ship which means everywhere you went, you had to talk through the toxic smell of the cigarette smoke. Trivia was held in smoking bar, the band was in the smoking bar........ etc. Honestly, the trip was spoiled by the smokers/smoke. I would only cruise again if I found a ship that had a segregated smoking section or a non smoking cruise. My party of 5 all ended up sick with colds, was it because of the smoke or coincidence. Accommodation were comfortable and food was not remarkable, it was fine, but that's all. Kids were kept very busy and my 14 years old had a blast! I will never cruise again if this is what its like!
decor was fine
Not bad and not GREAT
clean but awkward. an old style tv encased in a large wooded enclosure took up a lot of valuable space as did the safety vest in the corner of the roon. I had to climb OVER the box to get in to bed each time.
everyone was friendly and polite and efficient
well done. comedians were FUNNY and the band was great
kept my 14 year old well entertained
swimming with dolphins was great but the lunch was poor. no options for kids/teens who can be more picky and just not impressive. partial refunds were not offered when many added activities were cancelled due to weather
swimming with dolphins was great
New Orleans, Louisiana
organized and efficient
vendors are aggressive and pushy. know your prices and haggle
Progreso (Merida), Mexico
Not much to do.

I'm so sad to say that there is very little to say that is positive because it really was spoiled by the smoking. I know there were MANY good aspects but they have been minimized by the heaviness THAT I STILL FEEL IN MY CHEST, 3 days later!!!