Carnival Elation Cruise Review to Caribbean - Western

Not what I expected.

Sail Date: November 30, 2013

I have am a frequent cruiser, and this was my first experience with Carnival. In general I try to be optimistic, but the customer service we received was very poor. Whenever we had questions as to where things were, we would have to literally search for a staff member. There were numerous times when they would tell us that they were new and didn't know, and wouldn't offer to help us from there. The servers in the restaurant that waited on us acted like they didn't want to be there, and we were an inconvenience. The only servers that acted like they cared about us were our dinner servers. It was very obvious that the boat is very old. The rooms were old. We had issues with the air conditioner from day one. For 4 nights we spoke back and forth about getting it turned on (bc we were sweating so badly) and they continued to tell us there was nothing wrong with it until the last night when a maintenance person took it apart and told us it was broke but he could fix it tomorrow (day 5). They offered us a new room on the other end of the boat, that was the same grade as the one we were in. So we decided to stay in the one we were in because what was the point to drag everything out for one more night? We found other things in the room that were less satisfactory like our "clean" towels had various types of hairs in them and some of the dishes our room service food was delivered on were dirty. The customer service lady, one in particular was rude to us when we asked her why our sign and sail cards didn't work at our dinner. They told us we didn't link it to our credit card, when we did before boarding the boat with the lady who checked us in. (Which I believe you have to do before boarding.) She gave us some stupid excuse like the "satellite must have been down". This was on day 4 after we had used it numerous times on the boat. As far as the agenda goes, they didn't offer a lot of fun things to do on board. The food was ok, not great. They didn't offer a lot of variety. A lot of times it was not fresh, and whenever I would order a fruit bowl pieces of fruit had obviously gone bad and needed to be thrown away. These small details were just the cherry on top of our carnival trip. Overall, I wish I would have booked another cruise line for my vacation.

Cruise Photos

A lot of things need updating.
Not a lot of variety or freshness.
Our dinner servers were the only great staff on board.
Not a lot of variety.
Lack variety. It sort of felt like a nursing home's fun activities. Everything was obviously focused on getting us to buy everything they have to offer on the ship.
Progresso was dirty, and the bus rides were over 20 minutes.