Carnival Elation Cruise Review to Caribbean - Western

4-29 Progresso and Cozumel

Sail Date: April 29, 2013

This is a smaller, older boat that is in need of a makeover. The cabins and interior finishes are dated and show their age. The food was okay. Out of the 3 cruiselines I have experienced, I would rate Carnival's food behind both of the NCL and Royal ships on which I have sailed.

The crew was not overly friendly. Some of them seemed upset to be there. the room stuards and dinning room attendants did not go out of their way to make the trip special. They performed their jobs well, but don't expect much conversation. We did do the my time dinning so figuring we would not be at the same table each night, maybe the dinning room staff did not feel they had to go out of their way to accommodate.

The shows were to be expected. The typical cheesy song and dance numbers and a couple comedians. The main theater had some bad lines of sight in the upper deck. I would recommend sitting on the main level. The comedians were okay at best. They both performed multiple times through the 5 day cruise. Both of them re-issued the same jokes multiple times. This got old. The Superstars Live was entertaining as guests performed karoke with the live band.

The fitness center was decent. If you went first thing in the morning, it was a little packed. There were also a few treadmills and elipical machines that were out of service. It was a little awkard getting into the fitness center as you had to pass through the spa and dressing rooms to get there. Women on one side and men on the other.

All in all it was a nice time. I knew going into the trip that this was an older, smaller boat and did not have my expectations high. If you know this going in, you won't be too disappointed. This was my girlfriend's first cruise and she enjoyed it and would go on another. Don't expect ammentities found on larger, newer boats and you should be fine.
This is an older, smaller ship so it is reflected as such.
The food was okay. I had one fish dish that was cold and a veal dish that was very tough.
The decor is very dated and is in need of a makeover. The tile in the bathroom shows its age, but the shower was good size.
They performed their jobs well, just don't expect them to go out of their way to make your trip memorable.
The shows were a little cheesy and the comedians average. The band was good along with some of the live music venues.
We managed to stay entertained the whole trip despite a few days with rain.
We enjoyed going to the Reef resort in Progresso and swimming with the dolphins in Cozumel.
New Orleans, Louisiana
The disembark process seemed to take an extremely long time for such a small boat. I have been on ships way bigger that took less time to disembark.
Progreso (Merida), Mexico
We went to the Reef Resort. This was a nice excursion. Alejandro was our guide and he did an awesome job of giving us a history/guided tour of the area and region prior to arriving at the resort.
We went swimming with the dolphins. This was an experience to remember!

We had some rough weather during the trip. the boat was rocking pretty good. If you have a tendancy to get sea sick, I would recommend a cabin in the middle of the boat!

1 Comment