An enjoyable vacation

Carnival Elation Cruise Review to Caribbean - Western

Helpful Vote: 1

5 Night Western Caribbean (Mobile Roundtrip)
Sail Date: May 21, 2011
This was my first cruise.

We had an enjoyable trip with excellent service. If you can, I recommend one of the rooms that includes VIP status. The VIPs bypass the boarding line and get on board quickly.

We prefer the flexability of "anytime seating" for dinner rather than the rigid schedule of assigned time for dinning.

The condition and decor does need a little work. Some of the layout was hard to follow on the "map" with places requiring you to go down, traverse the ship and then up to get where you wanted.

Not all elevators stop on all floors. Odd, isn't it.

I would have guessed the tile in the bathroom was from the 70s eventhough my wife tells me the boat was built in the 90s. Otherwise, I highly recommend the Veranda Deck balcony staterooms.
We went to the Chitchen Itza Mayan ruins. The cruise people said it would be a 90 minute drive; however, it is more than 120 minute drive. The site is worth the visit, but you need to do this excursion a different time. Two hours at the site with a 4+ hour trip on a hot bus is not recommended except for the most devoted. If you can book a private guide and smaller vehicle, it will be more enjoyable.

Pros: The food selection was very broad. Everyone should be able to find something they like, which was demonstrated by how much my picky son ate.

Cons: The fixtures and condition on the Elation was a little dated and worn.

Recommends Carnival Elation? Yes!