great getaway on a beautiful ship

Carnival Breeze Cruise Review to Caribbean

Contributor Level: Third Mate

6 Night Caribbean (Miami Roundtrip)
Sail Date: September 22, 2013
Ship: Carnival Breeze

We had a wonderful time on the Carnival Breeze - the ship is absolutely beautiful, the food wonderful, and the staff attentive to our every need.  Special highlights include a large number of trivia games offered daily, afternoon tea on sea days, and Guy's hamburger joint.  Ports of call included Grand Turk (an fantastic place where you literally can step off the boat into the Caribbean Sea!), Jamaica (see details below), and Nassau - I don't know why almost all cruise ships go here but it is a great day for staying on an almost empty ship.

I am pysically disabled and use a travel scooter to get around and I wish that Carnival (and all other lines) provided more assistance to disabled guests - it wasn't until day 5 that I found that the elevator in Cloud 9 spa went up to the adult area Serenity - the maps only show it going to deck 14, not deck 15.  It would also be nice if the cruise lines offered handicap-accessible cruise tours - the only line that I have found to offer such tours is Norwegian when visiting St. Maartin and St. Thomas.  I couldn't book any tours for Ochos Rios as Carnival guest services  couldn't tell me if I would be able to take my travel scooter or how much walking was actually involved so when my sister and I got off the ship, we spoke with the Jamaican tourist office who said the the local tour buses could accomdate my scooter and that we could go to the observation area of Dunn River Falls.  We boarded a tour bus ($20 each) after being assured that they would load the travel scoot only to have it suddenly pull away without doing so - they have jumpseats that fill in every aisle space and they would rather have had paying customers fill these seats than my travel scooter.  The guide kept reassuring me that the travel scooter would be on the bus behind us and not to worry - easier said than done when I couldn't move far without the scooter as my legs.  Everyone on the bus had to wait about 45 minutes for my scooter to finally be brought up to Dunn RIver Falls by taxi and then, after paying $20 each to enter the attraction, my sister and I found that the observation deck is accessible only after a series of stairs and narrow pathways - the guides were very willing to take our money all the while knowing that I would never get close enough to even see the falls.  The day was saved when my sister found a taxi driver who took us to a private resort's beach and then into town for shopping.

With the exception of the $80 mistake in Jamaica, the whole vacation was wonderful.  We have cruised almost all of the major lines and were impressed with Carnval's newest ship, the Breeze.  We are already planning another cruise on this ship!

dinner and afternoon tea were wonderful; loved Guy's burgers

loved the variety of trivia

always attentive and helpful

beautiful ship

Check out the Chocolate Extravaganza (offered on one of the days) - it was a sight to behold, even if you don't eat anything!

the absolute best port for swimming in the Caribbean Sea
watch out for pushy tour guide operators
best not to get off the ship if you've been here before