Caribbean Princess Cruise Review to Caribbean - Eastern

Not up to expectations

Sail Date: October 23, 2014

I learned from long time Princess customers that since being purchased by Carnival that the service and quality has been deteriorating. Apparently they are suffering from the Carnivalization of a once elegant cruise line. The buffets are mediocre at best. I do not believe their claim that everything is prepared fresh from scratch daily. The traditional dinning service is hit and miss. Some items were very good, others not so much. The black forest cake was still frozen in the middle. Frozen cakes generally come from a box not an on board bakery. The biggest disappointment was that you had to spend an extra twenty five to thirty dollars to eat in their "specialty restaurants". They could at least offer lobster or crab legs for a reasonable surcharge in the dining rooms. The staff was a hit or miss situation. None of them seemed to be enjoying their jobs. I know they are away from home for months at a time but that was their choice. The final straw came when after paying $250.00 for group photos to remember her 90th birthday the charge to get a copy on a memory stick, which was advertised for a $10.00 fee turned out to be a $100.00 fee because it was a group photo. I was then told by the head photographer that I should take it up with Princess because that's the policy. I call B.S. After a 90 year old woman pays the cruise bill for thirty of her family members to celebrate her birthday the fact that Princess felt the need to squeeze another $100.00 dollars out of her is appalling. Next time we will fly to our destination of choice and go the all included route. I will never set foot on a Carnival owned ship again.

Showing her age. Rust on the balconies and some wear and tear.
Pedestrian at best
Our "mini suite was better than our last trip in a balcony room. Good sized bathroom and full stand up shower compared to phone booth in balcony room.
Not very many of the staff seemed happy to be there.
Entertainment N/A
Children's Programs N/A
Buy the complete beverage package and drink all day.
Good for people that live in the frigid climes and don't have access to the sun and beach
Ft. Lauderdale (Port Everglades), Florida
We live in Fl. All we did was park at the port. Lots of construction going on.
Princess Cays (Cruise Line Private Island)
Stayed on board and relaxed
Grand Turk Island
One visit is one too many. It's a man made tourist trap. It does have a very nice beach area. I doubt anyone goes there on purpose.

If you have the beverage package, the wine bar is delightful. Fine wines from around the world by the glass.