Caribbean Princess Cruise Review to Caribbean - Western

A very nice & relaxing cruise

Sail Date: June 01, 2006

Our stateroom was in very good condition and was well kept up each day by the staff. We had a balcony room at mid ship and the ride was smooth all the time. I was surprised at how roomy it was - kind of like a mini hotel room. Plenty of bed room - 2 singles joined together to form a king sized bed. Bathroom was clean - kind of tight room in the shower but still adequate. Limited number of TV channels but hey, who wants to stay in and watch TV when you're cruisin'?

I did hear some complaints from other passengers though that their rooms were slightly run down. One couple complained about their bathroom floor tiles lifting. We did not experience that though, so I guess we were lucky.

Pros: The Caribbean Princess itself - a beautiful ship. Quality service from the whole staff.

Cons: The fact that you have to pay for all drinks including liquor, soda, bottled water (top dollar) & ice cream.

Super entertainment with plenty to do. Plenty of sailing parties every time the ship pulled out of a port. Good variety of music in the lounges and island music on the pool deck most of the time. The night lounges have good quality musicians. If Bert Stratton happens to be on your ship - don't miss him!!! What a great performer who really knows how to work a crowd. The staff really knows how to create a party atmosphere. They had some people literally jumpng in the pool completely dressed just to win a prize, like a bottle of champagne, etc....
As I stated above, the staterooms are quite nice. My wife was concerned before the trip about what to expect for roughness on the sea as she tends to get motion sickness. But after the first day at sea, she realized th at everything was going to be beautiful. We barely felt any motion at all on the whole trip.
The ship is awesome! Huge, with plenty of lounges, restaurants, casino, indoor multi-million dollar theater, shops, swimming pools, outdoor theater and nice elevators. the whole thing reminds me of a beautiful Las Vegas style hotel that floats. The promenade deck is nice as well and allows you yo walk off a few calories if you'd like. 2.7 laps = 1 mile.
The food was very good and plentiful. The buffets are well stocked with a large variety and the menu is slightly different each day. One of the nights featured a seafood assortment with all you can eat New England lobster claws and Alaskan king crab legs!
Also, the sit-down restaurants are very nice with premier service as you pick things off the menu. They also have an afternoon tea menu in these restaurants with live background music going - very nice & relaxing!
They were just awesome! They'll get you anything you need (within reason of course). I even saw some people giving one or two of them a hard time about whatever, and they still maintained their composure and resolved any problem. The staff consists of people from many different nations - truly international - all nice people!!
George Town, Grand Cayman
This island had the best climate of the others that we visited. It's very clean and expansive with nice scenery everywhere you turn. You have about 6 hours to shop and / or dow whatever water activities you might want to do. I didn't take any excursions or tours so I can't comment on that. It was just a very nice place to visit. Unlike Jamaica, you have to be transported from the ship to dock by tender. So, there's a little hassle waiting to get on a tender in the midst of a couple of thousand people. But the Princess crews really know how to make this process as painless as possible. Each tender holds about 100 passngers, so the wait isn't too long to get on. Returning to the ship is almost immediate since there aren't many people converging onto the boats throughout the day at any one time.
Ocho Rios, Jamaica
Sorry, I didn't like this place very much. I would have been happy bypassing this island to cut the trip a day shorter, thank you very much. From the second that you leave the pier to go exploring, you are deluged by about 100 taxi drivers in a row trying to get you into their cab (using VERY high pressure tactics). Just put blinders on and look straight ahead with your hands in your pockets. I didn't go any further than to the enclosed shopping areas that were near the dock. It wasn't long before I went back to the ship.
Don't Miss: If you have to, don't miss Jimmy Buffett's Marguerita cafe if you fell like getting drunk. They'll give you all the rum and tequila you can handle at a fraction of what you'd pay at home.
I liked this island the best since there's a lot to do. Great shops and nice scenery plus friendly people. You have to take a taxi from pier to downtown but it's only about $6 for a cab load each way.
Princess Cays (Cruise Line Private Island)
The island is nice but very small. It's a nice first day stop just to get you into the island mood. There's not much to do there except walk around a little and catch the atmosphere. There's some time to swim or rent either a kayak or paddle boat plus do some snorkeling. But you only have about 1/2 day to get it all in. Boat rentals are about $25 for 1/2 hour. There is a very nice outdoor barbecue spread including a very fresh fruit selection served.