Anthem of the Seas Cruise Review to Caribbean - Western

Just when I thought it couldn't get worse

Sail Date: January 25, 2016

This was our 14th cruise.  The Friday before we were to leave on Monday I received an email that our cruise was postponed for one day leaving on Tuesday.  A storm was coming up the coast and I was concerned about parking at the pier.  I called the pier and left a message to have a return call to find out the parking situation not knowing it was a parking garage.  I received a call the next morning after leaving the hotel for the pier.  We were checked in by a man standing in a large room with chairs where we were directed to sit for 1 hour.  This is the point we found out from fellow travelers that we were not going to the western Caribbean but the eastern Caribbean. We were told from the travelers that they received an email with the notification.  I have no idea why we were not notified or given an option to cancel due to the change. We later received notification of the ports and the days.  Before leaving home we had made notification to credit cards and family for western Caribbean. My husband had to go to security on the boat to get his luggage .  They retrieved an iron which we got back when we disembarked.  All the shore excursions were cancelled and we had to rebook.. We were not told by our cruise planner that we had to make reservations for dinner at the various restaurants or to see any of the shows.  The boat is great for all that is computer smart but if your have difficulty with computers good luck. The first 2 days of travel we had to stand in long lines for the restaurants even though we had reservations.  The service was less than acceptable. I must say it did improve with time.  The shows were great.  There are many activities to do on board. Difficult to ride the bumper cars and their are limits on the number of people to roller skate. Again one must make reservations to do most activities.  Their is an adult area with hot tubs and pools but the childless restriction in not enforced.  Love my grandchildren but I don't take them on vacation.  You may think your Childs behavior is cute but not everyone will agree.  Bar Service is good if you go to the bar and pick it up.  Yes you will still pay the 18 % gratuity for this.  Our room was nice.  I love the virtual balcony. A wall size TV has video and audio from the deck makes it feel like a real outside balcony. Oh yes forgot we received a $100 onboard credit for our late departure.  It didn't cover the 1 day price for 2 people. Very disappointed no further compensation was offered.  I filed a former complaint with Royal Caribbean and  Cheap Cruises but no one will take ownership for lack of communication. The time we spent in San Juan was longer because of a medical emergency on a ship berthed beside us.  Passengers on our ship were locked out and not able to embark back on ship. Everyone on the ship was given free bar drinks for 2 hours.  That was great if you didn't have a bar package.  If you had a bar package there was no compensation again.  I guess we were lucky we got home safe and sound unlike the following cruise.

Clean and I love the virtual balcony
Not the destinations we purchased.
Onboard Activities Good if you have a reservation
Cape Liberty (Bayonne), New Jersey Parking garage at the pier is adequate. It is close to area where you will embark. Leave at least 2 hours to get there from the Newark airport area when driving. Can not comment of any these destinations because our itinerary was all changed without notification to us.
Labadee (Cruiseline Private Island)

Book all activities, restaurants and off shore excursions, Think twice about that insurance you buy to cover all the unexpected. They get out of all claims.