Tipping

We have sailed 11 times and have at times left the gratuity as is and other times removed the gratuity and put an amount equal to or greater than the gratuities in the hands of those who gave us service. After reading an article from a crew member about the gratuity being used as part of the crews' wages, from now on we will leave the gratuities alone and tip extra for great service. Question...how much extra do you tip? Room steward, server, assistant server, concierge any other you can suggest? Thank you.

9 Answers

Our cruise was unfortunately canceled after we spent one night tied up at the dock in Baltimore. Safety is priority for all so cancellation was understood. The first interaction we had with our room steward we gave him $20. This was before cancelation. After announcement of cancellation we left $10 for dinner server before leaving ship and sought out our servers from first night and gave $10. As far as tipping I was even more determined we take care of the help under the circumstances.

Our cruise was unfortunately canceled after we spent one night tied up at the dock in Baltimore. Safety is priority for all so cancellation was understood. The first interaction we had with our room steward we gave him $20. This was before cancelation. After announcement of cancellation we left $10 for dinner server before leaving ship and sought out our servers from first night and gave $10. As far as tipping I was even more determined we take care of the help under the circumstances.

Too bad no one specifically answered your question regarding how much? I'm curious also.

I leave the auto-tips alone and add: Room steward, $20 Server, $20 Assistant server, $20 Head waiter who oversees special dietary needs: Sometimes $0, sometimes $50-$100 Concierge (not assigned to our cabin area) Any other you can suggest? Exceptional nightly lounge entertainer $25

Thats exactly right...about a year ago we had a big discussion about this...and as a result I decided to do some checking on the subject. what I thought I knew turned out to be flat wrong. the methodology the cruise lines use to pay their "contract labor" is simply appalling.

I will leave the auto tips on even when I get bad service, If I get bad service I report the service that was bad but leave the tips on. No point penalizing all the crew for one bad apple. I look at the auto gratuities as part of the cost of the cruise.

When I get good service I tip the individual in cash, MDR staff, cabin steward or a good buffet staff. Those people work hard jobs with long hours 7 days a week putting up with all the customers.

As important as tipping is treating the staff polite, with respect and with a smile. By being nice to staff I have been remembered by name when I was on the same ship a month later.

Also important is the customer service survey cards, mention the names of the crew and positions of those that gave you great service. A job well done deserves a "thank you" For bad service also give the name and position so the issue can be addressed.

We leave them on, but also give those who helped us the most cash with a thank you card on the way out.

We always leave the tips on and tip others who do exceptional service. The amount is totally up in the air and depends on the length of cruise we are on. I will usually slip our room steward a twenty the first day. I carry ones with me on the ship and tend to tip as I go.

Excellent conclusion dks. We are on board with that one as well.

We leave the tips as is and tip individuals as we go.

*Cruiseline.com is not a booking agent or travel agency, and does not charge any service fees to users of our site. Our partners (travel agencies and cruise lines) provide prices, which we list for our users' convenience. Cruiseline.com does not guarantee any specific rates or prices. While prices are updated daily, please check with the booking site for the exact amount. Cruiseline.com is not responsible for content on external web sites.