MIGHTY CRUISE SHIPS

That's a series on TV. we get it on the SMITHSONIAN channel...probly all repeats, but last nite did an hour on CARNY VISTA. interesting stuff...all different lines all over the world...

11 Answers

Last one I recorded was a five masted beast...sails...yes sails...only 200+ passengers...they clearly were having a blast...THAT Captain was clearly an ancient mariner, and had the look...tanned, crows feet, all squinty for looking for the horizon, captained cruise ships and hated it and said so...intends to run his 5 masted ship till they bury him, and yes, as big as it is, it rolls.....btw, that reference to wives etc...one episode was the MSC DIVINA (sic) Capitano Umberto H Humbert 40+ years at sea etc, commanding.. smartly turned out every day, razor creases in his whites...VERY nice accommodations near the bridge, for him and his 25-30 year old wife and 3 year old son...who he carried during the obligatory "meet the officers" thing...spent most of the day smiling a lot....hope the rest of the Bridge Staff don't have similar distractions....oh well...it even got me smiling!!

I must look for this show and check it out. Thanks for the info.

As far back as I recall Princess allowed officers to bring family. I remember a couple of times when their wives brought babies but not large family groups. One captain told us it was a perk he really enjoyed. I think HAL and Regent did the same. Apparently Princess allows other crew to do the same. Here is what they say to employees----------"Can I bring a family member or friend onboard?

Crew members who meet specific length-of-service criteria have the option of requesting "relatives travel," a benefit that allows family members to sail onboard for a limited period of time. Some restrictions may apply."

outstanding...never thought of that. theyre all worth watching...just saw one about an old Soviet-era cruise ship...refurbed and still going strong...you ought to see it...it looks more like ocean liners of old, even redone...btw, since when do Captains get to travel with their young wives and kids? a new MSC perk???

Many of the episodes are available on youtube.com. search for mighty cruise ships

It seems to pop up at the oddest times...sometimes its earlier in the evening, then again late at nite..Theres actually about a dozen episodes to it, different ships all over the world..boutique stuff to mega ships...and Ive seen almost all of them. What gets me is the number of "boutique" cruises going to out of the way places...places I can't spell...want to go to Antarctica? theres a cruise for that...lil zodiacs and all....its worth hunting for....the show that is...mebbe not Antarctica...heheheh...another common thread is that it seems geared toward veteran cruisers. we have discussions in here whether the cruise is about the ship or the destination...these ships provide all the amenities, some more than others, but its clearly about the destinations more often than not. and weather?? pfftt...a non-issue considering where some of these ships go. complain about it and they leave you behind ...

I didn't know about it either. Just set my DVR to record. It comes on at 3 am. I guess they don't want many people to watch it.

Too bad I don't get the Smithsonian channel!

Didn't occur to me that folks didn't know about it...the series isn't exactly new, so it just keeps cycling thru, but yes, it IS interesting anyway. Next one I think is a 4 masted cruise ship!

Sad I missed that one! However I did just look up the show and set my DVR. Thanks for sharing!

*Cruiseline.com is not a booking agent or travel agency, and does not charge any service fees to users of our site. Our partners (travel agencies and cruise lines) provide prices, which we list for our users' convenience. Cruiseline.com does not guarantee any specific rates or prices. While prices are updated daily, please check with the booking site for the exact amount. Cruiseline.com is not responsible for content on external web sites.