HELP

We are going on our first yes I said first cruise .. we are going on the liberty july3 2023 please help me Drink package a must or not ??? We want to swim with the dolphins what excursions do we do and suggestions my husband has been sick for a long time and has been approved to go so help me please any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!!!

10 Answers

Is it "Liberty Of The Seas" or "Carnival Liberty"? That makes a HUGE difference, as it's two completely different cruise lines. Your drink question may not be able to be answered until we know which line you're cruising with.

Also, you never mentioned your itinerary. There are several islands that offer the "Swimming With The Dolphins" excursion, as I it would be helpful if we knew which islands you're visiting.

Welcome to the cruising family!!

As others have said, recommend you do the math to determine if the drink package is beneficial - definitely need to account for port days since only drinks on the ship are included. The mini bar in your cabin is likely not included, so if you invest in a drink package, you'll need to avoid it.

If you're a coffee drinker, remember to include those in your calculations.

We also enjoyed the stingrays much more than we thought we would; they do most of the work, so you might look at one of those excursions. Agree the sea lions are a very passive excursion as they do come to you.

Also, you might want to look at "experience" excursions rather than "swim with" excursion - they usually allow you to interact with animals (touch, kiss, feed, etc) but not hold on for a ride. There are also some excursions that offer a person to view but not actively participate in the excursion, so you could consider those for your husband. Both our sea lion and stingrays excursions offered those.

Highly recommend you do a Future Cruise Deposit while onboard so you get a little extra on your next cruise. You don't have to decide when/where you will go - it gives you an opportunity to do a reduced deposit on a cruise when you find one that "fits" and will give you some OBC.

Here's wishing you a fabulous experience!!

From the previous comments it sounds like you might be going on a Carnival cruise with Nassau likely as a port. If you are looking at the swim with the dolphins at Blue Lagoon and you have any concerns about your husband's stamina I would recommend the sea lions excursion instead. You would still be getting in the water but just standing on a platform as they swim up to you. It also provides fantastic photos one on one with the sea lions, cost is extra for the photos. When you've finished the excursion you can still see the dolphins, enjoy the beach, and get a buffet lunch.

Welcome to cruising and you are going to love it. As AuntPinkie said, you need to do the math with the drink package. Take a guess at what you might be drinking and take into account being off the ship on port days and then do the math. I usually guess at about $10 a drink and that seems to balance out. The first day will depend on the port you sail out of. Some ports restrict the drink package on first day while some just charge an extra tax on drinks which is on top of the drink plan. Cheers

I do hope that you have a lovely cruise and delighted to hear all is well.

The Drinks package, really depends on your daily consumption of alcohol.

However I cannot recommend drinking alcohol and swimming with the dolphins.at the same time. It may not even be allowed.

You must let us know how the cruise went for you :)

Lynn is beautiful

PatongDave - GREAT info.

I did NOT know the first day was excluded. Big difference. I just completed my first 'all-drinks included' cruise deal and the first day DID NOT show up on my account. Maybe different cruise lines do things differently. I do not know.

Re: ttyaylors - I have swan with the dolphins once. I think it was Grand Cayman, Previous pictures I saw were of pristine blue waters. My experience was a dank, murky water. Not so nice. However, the second part of the tour was Stingray Bay and 'swimming' with stingrays. I was NOT looking forward to that portion, but it ended up - BY FAR - being the highlight of the day.

Enjoy the dolphins, enjoy a drink package. It is so nice having champagne with breakfast, drinks poolside, pre-dinner drink(s), and wine at dinner with no worries about the cost. You can even splurge on a glass of port after dinner. All included. Enjoy your cruise, enjoy your time together. ENJOY !!! Best wishes.

A few things to be aware of.... your cruise will be spending 1 day at Carnival's Princess Cays port, which has a free lunch buffet, but drinks are for purchase. The Cheers program cannot be used at Princess Cays or Half Moon Cay (even though these are both Carnival venues), so any drinks purchased there will be charged to your sail & sign card. This includes bottled water and soda. Also, while the ship is in a US waters, local sales tax will be charged on Cheers drinks (based on the normal bar price), and charged to your card. Although this doesn't apply to you, on cruises departing from Texas and New York ports, the Cheers program cannot be used on the first (departure) day. Also, don't forget that when you purchase the Cheers package, you'll also be charged an 18% gratuity on the $59.95 price per day, making the daily price $70.75 which much be paid for the entire 4 days cruise ($283/person). As mentioned earlier, all guests 21 and over in the same stateroom must purchase the package if 1 purchases it, so you're looking at over $560 for your 4 day cruise.

You’re welcome. I’m sure others will chime in.

Thank you for your help.

If you both will drink at least 6 drinks per day, then the drink package is a wise choice (this includes specialty coffee, soda, and alcohol), there is also a soda package (never used it so can't advise). We don't drink enough to warrent the cost of the drink package so we buy our drinks one at a time (or wine by the bottle at dinner). We've never come close to the cost of the drink package (remember eveeryone of age in the cabin must buy it). Glad you are going on a cruise and hope it's everything you want it to be.

Sorry we've not swam with the dolphins. Look at the excursions offered by the cruise line. Usually, they will tell you how much "energy" is required. Talk with your husband and see what sounds fun. Not knowing your ports of call, I would be sure to check the length of the "bus ride" to any location as that can often be draining.

Welcome to cruising!

*Cruiseline.com is not a booking agent or travel agency, and does not charge any service fees to users of our site. Our partners (travel agencies and cruise lines) provide prices, which we list for our users' convenience. Cruiseline.com does not guarantee any specific rates or prices. While prices are updated daily, please check with the booking site for the exact amount. Cruiseline.com is not responsible for content on external web sites.