Zaandam Cruise Review to Alaska - Inside Passage

A big mistake

Sail Date: June 01, 2013

Our stateroom was like checking into a cheap dirty hotel room. On the first night I reported both our beds were badly worn out and I needed something firmer to sleep on. The steward said he couldnt do anything about that.The center of both beds were so worn out that you could feel the base underneath\, plus being lopsided. I have never been to any establishment with such worn out mattresses and not offer a solution to the problem. They could not even come up with a board. The unsupportive bed stressed my body out that I was in pain every night and throwing my body out of alignment. The walls next to the beds were stained and dirty. I used pillows to separate me from the dirty walls. Besides the beds\, the room was extremely warm and very poorly ventilated. I never felt the AC working\, even though it was set on the coldest setting. Alaska is beautiful to see\, but my trip was ruined by sleepless nights in poor living conditions. Outside the rooms the ship was reasonable clean\, but I did come sticky doors and handles.
I did confirm my opinion with other guest while in the cruise.

Food was ok\, but not great. This was my very first cruise\, but everything was so commercialized. We received daily flyers of auctions\, raffles\, etc. There were some talks about where to go shopping for jewelries\, watches\, etc. The shopping ambassador\, Dani\, made it sound like such a bargain. I went into several stores she recommended and was subjected to high pressured sales tactics selling me overpriced jewelries.There were no bargains at all and one stored tried to sell me a skimpy 14k gold chain with a some scrap diamonds in between for over $1000. It was such a joke and a small flower like pendant with tiny rubies for about $4300 with their discounts\, in San Francisco I could buy much better jewelry at a fraction of their price. It is not worth the time going into these jewelry stores. To make things worse the shopping ambassador came into the store and kept on pressuring me

Pros: Dining Service

Cons: Condition and service in the Stateroom/bed

Recommends Zaandam? No.