My upgrade?

Zaandam Cruise Review to Alaska - Gulf of Alaska

Contributor Level: Third Mate

7 Night Glacier Discovery Northbound (Vancouver To Seward)
Sail Date: July 21, 2013
Ship: Zaandam
I paid extra to insure I got a cabin with a large window as I've had on my previous 2 Alaska cruises. What I got was a cabin with 2 small porthole type windows. Boarding the ship 4 hours before sailing, we went to customer service and asked for the correct room that I paid for, even if I had to pay extra for the cabin(again). I was told there was none available. Also the room was very small with the bed in the middle of the room making it very difficult to walk around our room. Starting Monday of the cruise, our toilet would plug up every morning from around 7am to 10 am. Except for Thursday, when it was plugged morning and afternoon. After Thursday afternoon, no more problems with the plumbing. The crew and staff were excellent(except for the customer service desk) This being my second Holland America Alaskan cruise I was told I've probably be given a free upgrade. didn't turn out that way. Lastly; when the ship docked in Seward, we were told if your taking the train into Anchorage, we had to be off the ship by 6:15 am.

no trays to carry food. Breakfast period too short. Quality and variety very limited.

not a lot of onboard activities.

Only one on board live band. DJ would have been nice or?

excellent Ship Captain. After we voiced our concerns regarding the plumbing problems to the Captain, they were fixed within 30 minutes.