Viking Rinda Cruise Review to Europe

Just Took My First - And Last - Viking Cruise

Sail Date: May 29, 2014

I recently returned from the Viking River Cruise, “Passage to Eastern Europe.” The cruise was generally good, with very good service, better food than we expected, and excellent tour guides. The destinations were often not particularly great, but we knew that before booking.

Unfortunately the few problems we encountered were upsetting enough that, in the future, I am likely to try the competition and very unlikely to return to Viking. First and foremost is their poorly thought out policy of not allowing shipboard credit to be used towards gratuities, as every other cruise line we’ve been on allows. That meant we would have to take an optional excursion, which were few, far between, and of no interest to us. We could also use it towards drinks, but we are not big drinkers and the wine and beer served at lunch and dinner were more than sufficient. Our final option was to buy limited, overpriced, and mostly unneeded items from the small gift shop.

Their “suggested” gratuities are higher than other cruise lines we’ve been on, and I have never before been asked to tip the Program Director. I firmly believe that at his level, I should not be asked to pay part of his salary.

The cabin is, to say the least, small although the shower is an unusually good size.

Dinner (and, to a lesser extent, lunch) was only one seating, and the noise level could make it difficult to have a conversation.

Although both the suggested gratuities and the limited use of shipboard credit are mentioned, they are clearly not meant to be very obvious and visible. Although minor, this significantly customer unfriendly attitude is why I would prefer, in the future, not to deal with a company such as Viking.

Clean and generally well laid out
Limited choices, but well planned and good
Small but livable
Like other small ships, this is limited but reasonable
Bucharest, Romania
Giurgiu, Romania We were here only for boarding, which is all it is worth
Vidin, Bulgaria
Not a world-class destination, but learned a lot about the country
Cruise The Iron Gates
Scenic, but ultimately nothing special.
Belgrade, Serbia
Princess Ljubica's house was worthy, as was eating at "?"
Vukovar (Osijek), Croatia
Again, a nothing special destination
Kalocsa, Hungary
Nothing too valuable
Budapest, Hungary
Could spend days just walking (and eating) in this city. Beautiful and clean. Best option are free walking tours (tip well!)