Viking Forseti Cruise Review to Europe

Second Mate

Beware if you have dietary restrictions...YOU WILL STARVE!!

Sail Date: December 21, 2013

This had to be the most disappointing vacation I've ever been on. We booked this cruise 7 months earlier, and repeated asked if Viking could accomodate our vegetarian gluten free diets.  We were assured we would be well-fed and the food would be delicious.  Not so!! It appears all that was done in preparation for our visit was to buy gluten free bread and pasta.  The head chef obviously had no idea what a vegetarian ate, so we rarely got any protein other than the eggs on the buffet at breakfast.  Night after night we suffered through plates of vegetables, and they weren't even great..just carrots, brocolli and cauliflower steamed on a plate! You could tell the poor waiters, who were very nice, were very embarassed at what they were serving us.  On top of that, nowhere in the brochure did it mention that there would be almost no open stores to shop in during the week we were going at Christmas! I almost jumped overboard!! And besides this, our shower tiny shower leaked under the curb so our bathroom flooded with water every time we showered.  Also our pillows would flatten to an inch high.  After three stacked pillows, I managed to get a three inch lift on my head.

When I contacted someone on my return, I was offered 2 $500 credits for my husband and myself 'if we were willing to give Viking another try'.  Are they kidding???????

The reason for two stars and not one is that the waiters, room cleaning person, and most of the staff were very nice and the cruise director was a sweetheart of a man who was overworked to the point of exhaustion.

If you are considering a European River Cruise, I would go elsewhere.  Consider yourself warned...

mediocre. We got grilled cheese for Christmas Dinner dessert.
Our tiny shower leaked.
Nice group of folks.
Tours get an A. Onboard entertainment gets a C.
Children's Programs none
The one saving grace. BUT NO SHOPPING.
Amsterdam, Netherlands I slept thru this. Exhausted from the plane ride.
Kinderdijk, Netherlands
Cologne, Germany
Don't go at shopping.
Koblenz, Germany
No shopping at Christmas.
Rudesheim, Germany
No shopping at Christmas.
Mannheim (Heidelberg), Germany
No shopping at Christmas
Speyer, Germany
Strasbourg, France
Breisach Am Rhine, Germany
Finally a shop is open!!!
Basel, Switzerland