Serenade of the Seas Cruise Review to Caribbean - Southern

Just Another Cruise

Sail Date: February 11, 2012

After having cruised on the Enchantment in 2009, a ship in unsavory condition complete with roaches on the buffet counter, I was hesitant to book another RC cruise. However, this particular cruise on the Serenade fit my schedule and visited ports that I like.

The Serenade was certainly far and above cleaner, friendlier, less cluttered, and in better condition.

Why, however, does the ship leave a port at 5:00 pm when its next destination is so close? I believe it's to get people back on board to buy beverages, shop, and utlilize the casino. I'd much rather spend time in port perhaps enjoying an evening excursion rather than hustling back to the ship by 4:30 pm.

Pros: The ports of call and the stateroom bed.

Cons: Leaving the ports too early...way too early...to get to the next destination clearly visible on the horizon.

Recommends Serenade of the Seas? Yes!

The food was satisfactory, nothing special at all. I look forward to lobster night, and the lobster tail smelled of ammonia, an indication that the lobster isn't fresh (even though previously frozen). I didn't eat it.

One night, I ordered a bottle of pinot grigio and was brought a bottle of cabernet savignon. I sent the cabernet back and was brought the wrong bottle of pinot grigio.

One night, I ordered the tilapia and was served the pasta.

Nothing at all was special about the food.
Having an aft balcony was extradordinary because all you could see was the sea. However, because the aft balconies are in such proximity, you can hear all conversations taking place on either side of yours.

The bed was superb.

The shower was tiny and allowed for little mobility.

The wooden panel next to the refrigerator door continually fell off.
Again, nothing spectacular. About average. One thing to note is that as a solo cruiser, photographers bascially ignore you unless you ask to have your photo taken. The first formal night, the photographer took one shot. The second formal night, he didn't bother to stop at my table. I had to ask one of the portrait photographers scattered around to take my picture.
The Serenade's size, layout, public area conditions, decor, cleanliness, and accessiblity were on par with other cruise ships of its kind. The public restrooms were occassionally dirty (e.g., wet floors, counters, no soap).
The tribute to the Temptations was incredible as were the two extravaganza shows. I was disappointed that karaoke was help in a smoking lounge and that smoking was allowed in the casino (except for one night).