Awesome first cruising experience

River Empress Cruise Review to Europe

7 Night Castles Along The Rhine Northbound (Basel To Amsterdam)
Sail Date: July 15, 2015
Ship: River Empress

We were impressed by the level of service in all areas -- from the front desk staff, to hospitality, the restaurant, and sailing staff. They couldn't have been more welcoming.  It was wonderful exploring the cities with a knowledgeable guide and not having to move hotels to see so many places. We would love to go on more cruises.

I have a food allergy and was able to eat better on the ship than I do at home. At every meal they let me know exactly what was safe for me to eat and were willing to specially prepare most anything I could have asked for.

The dining experience was amazing. I required gluten-free eating and the wait staff and head of the dining room approached me at each and every meal letting me know what was safe to eat and what the chef could prepare alternatively for me when there was gluten in an item.

Chose not to participate much.

Did not participate much. I heard good things from other passengers.

Only issue was that we were below the lounge. In the evening (9-11pm) we often faintly heard the music from above. It would not waken us if we were asleep, but I tended not to sleep until after it stopped. Didn't think of using my earplugs until just now as I'm writing this review.

Small free laundry available -- they even provide detergent. Service throughout the boat was amazing -- from restaurant staff to housekeeping to front desk.

Only excursion was to wine-tasting estate. Not being wine drinkers, we were not interested.
When leaving Koblenz, be sure to be up top right away to see the remaining couple of castles along the Rhine. It was easy to miss them while focusing on breakfast and getting around for the day.
City tour was great -- loved guide Marcus! However, it left very little time to shop since the boat left Cologne at 12:15pm. Would have appreciated an extra hour or two (or start the walking tour earlier so we had time at the end).