Rhapsody of the Seas Cruise Review to South Pacific - Australia

Overall, good cruise experience

Sail Date: December 01, 2009

My cruise sailed Sydney to Airlie Beach and back to Sydney, with stopovers in Airlie Beach, Cairns, Port Douglas and Brisbane, where we had the option of land tours (one of which was a disaster), and included travel from Boston, Massachusetts, to Sydney, Australia, with change of planes in Los Angeles. There was not enough time for customs and TSA calculated for my return flights, with only 2 hours between them; there should be at least 3 hours between flights when re-entering the country. The airline rep had to bump me to the front of the security line in order to make the flight connection; even then, I arrived at the gate as it was boarding - and my luggage had not been searched at customs.The ship itself is lovely and impressive. Public areas were magnificantly decorated to reflect the holiday season. Every area I visited was immaculate; the stateroom was spaceous, with lots of storage and closet room. There were sufficient clothes hangers, and the room was maintained promptly each day. There is a paucity of shops on this ship, which precluded participation in some of the themed nights (inability to purchase or rent appropriate clothing). Forehand knowledge of the themes planned would have assisted in packing appropriate clothing. If you plan to see the Great Barrier Reef, plan to go in early October; the locals say that's the only time of year it's possible to see anything. People on my cruise were disappointed that they paid for a tour at a time when they were unable to see anything because of choppy water.

Pros: Meals and service were fantastic

Cons: Photographers were a disaster

Recommends Rhapsody of the Seas? Yes!

The bed had to be moved to accommodate using my CPAP machine, but it was done cheerfully by the stateroom attendant. I had excellent views, with a windowed stateroom on the second deck.
Our waiters were fantastic, and took better pictures of us than did the photographers. The photographers were quite frustrating. They would only take full-lengh shots from 2 locations, and no one volunteered that info until 7th day of cruise; even then, photographer took pic too soon while I was wetting my lips, and followed up with 2 close-up shots rather than the full-length shots requested. Be sure they do not take photos from the side at dinner table as the angle is very unattractive; they had to be asked to photograph from across the table. In a word: not very knowledgeable about photo techniques and not at all accommodating or open to the idea that part of their job is to capture you at your best angles and distances.
The stage shows were excellent; I'd seen one of the acts at the Riviera in Las Vegas a couple of years prior, just to give you an idea of the caliber of the entertanent. The ship's own singers and dancers were also excellent.
There are a good number of fast elevators, located at 3 areas throughout the ship.
All food served to me, and food service, were excellent. The only exception in my opinon was the prime rib, but others at my table thought it was excellent. We had the opportunity to try crocodile and butterfish as well - a truly unique dining experience.