Pride of America Cruise Review to Hawaii

Third Mate

Best cruise ever!

Sail Date: May 02, 2015

We have cruised about 7 times  previous to this.  We had cruised on Norwegian one time before and were disappointed in all aspects of it.  I was reluctant to take this cruise but since it was the only cruise line that just sails around Hawaii, decided to give it another try.

The ship is Beautiful!! The Pride of American has a totally American theme to it from the Liberty Restaurant to the Hollywood Theater.  The crew, I would say, is probably 95% American  and while foreign crews are wonderful, there was no language barriers and everyone was easy to communicate with and have fun with. The food was outstanding and abundant.  The dining rooms ran like a well oiled machine, with Douglas at the helm.

The whole activities staff were funny and entertaining...Jasper, Gary, Krystal , Gretchen and Joseph were all outstanding. The entertainment was way beyond my expectations, especially Chris Alpine the comedian.

The excursions were great.  If there is one complaint I can make is that nowhere in the cruise postings was the fact that you had to be tendered to go to Kona.  We had booked an excursion there but I am disabled and there was no way I could get on the tender.  The excursion description had said it was handicapped accessible.  I was disappointed but we went to the Excursions Desk and they immediately reimbursed us.

The cruisers covered a wide age range, which was refreshing since we had previously cruised on Holland America where everyone was, for the most part, elderly.  In fact, at two ports we stopped at there were hearses waiting!  We are senior citizens but enjoyed watching the younger generation and their children.

It was over too fast.  We definitely need to go back someday.

It looked brand new and was spotless.
We had the Ultimate Dining Package and could go to any of the specialty dining rooms and the food was abundant and delivicious.
Everyone was efficient and friendly.
Loved Chris Alpine, Oh What a Night and Toby Beau.
Did not have children with us but you did not see them much so I would imagine they were having fun1
There was always something to do.
The ports were amazing, especially the volcano in Hilo. As I said before, I wish I had known that you had to use a tender to get to Kona.
The cabin was beautiful and the balcony was huge. I wish we had spent more time out there but there was too much else to do. I do think being at the very back of the ship made it a little more turbulent but it was fine.
Honolulu, Oahu
Pearl Harbor is a definite stop
Hilo, Hawaii
The active volcano was unbelievable.
Kailua-Kona, Hawaii
For me, at least...was not told it was tendered :(