Avoid this cruise

Pride of America Cruise Review to Hawaii

Sail Date: April 01, 2007
Ship: Pride of America
Sailing April 28 - May 5
After 6 cruises, this was the worst cruise I've ever been on. Judging by my fellow passengers comments, they also rated it the worst.
Bad food and even worse service including the 'specialty' restaurants where you had to pay extra just to eat there.
Dinner in the main dining room was so bad one night we walked out mid way through the meal. My steak was ordered medium and arrived very rare. When brought to their attention, they re-cooked the same steak! And this after a 45 minute wait even though there were plenty of empty tables.
The entertainment was awful. The crew gave a 'talent' show that was so bad it was embarrassing. Many people walked out. Their 'Broadway' show consisted of 5 understudy types that no one had ever heard of that sang 6 or so songs from broadway shows. No costumes or props. It was very boring and not even very good. The comedian, Chris Alpine, jumped ship half way through the cruise so we were stuck with a couple of idiots that thought they were funny.
Crew members were often overheard talking about getting transferred off the ship as soon as possible.

Food in the main dining rooms were of poor quality accompanied by poor service. More than once I had someone elses food from another table delivered to me.I did have a good prime rib in the Lazy J steakhouse but the service was so bad it wasn't worth the extra $20. They called the steakhouse 'elegant dining' but it was anything but. The servers wore cowboy shirts, they played country western music and the decor was something you would see in a texas roadhouse. I expected to see peanut shells on the floor

As stated above, the entertainment was very bad compared to all other cruises. The dance music was so boring, one passenger said it put her to sleep!
The crew talent show had a cello player that sounded like she was half way through her first year of lessons, people winced at her playing while they quickly left the auditorium.

When I complained about a raw steak, the server rolled his eyes.
When I questioned a happy hour 1/2 price drink of $6, The server just said, "No, that's right." Since it took him 10 full minutes to make my martini, he got no tip.

Public areas were ok but often there was only one bar open.

The balcony room was the smallest I have ever seen on any cruise ship. Probably 4 feet shorter making it difficult to even have room to change your clothes. Bathrooms were average sized.
Our baalcony was right next to a lifeboat blocking the view to the front of the ship. Because of the design of the ship, we couldn't see toward the back of the ship more than 25 feet so our view was very limited. That room should have been designated as a 'partially blocked view' room.

Pros: honolulu

Cons: food, entertainment, staff

Recommends Pride of America? No.