Oosterdam Cruise Review to Alaska

great cruise, average food

Sail Date: May 01, 2012

The ship was kept fairly clean. I didn't spend any time in the casinos but they are non-smoking now, which is a big plus for me. The staff was overall friendly and courteous but the food was generally over-cooked.

Pros: nice views

Cons: food was mediocre at best

Recommends Oosterdam? No.

We ate in the Vista dining room for the majority of our meals and every meal, the vegetables had been cooked to death and then seem to have be held for about 2 hours after that. This is a clear reflection on the executive chef on this ship. It happens at every meal because he doesn't bother to check or hold his staff to a higher standard. Overcooked chicken, duck, steak, etc. For this reason, I plan to look at other lines for our next cruise.
room was small, but that is to be expected on a cruise. The staff cleaned our carpet the week we were on board and my purse was left sitting on wet carpet afterwards, which is frankly unforgivable and I didn't think the staff responded appropriately to this when I complained. The front desk definitely needs a customer service upgrade.
Overall they were decent but nothing really above and beyond. Front Desk definitely needs some new people.
good range of typical activities that provided a little something for everyone. We were frustrated that we kept getting DVDs that were scratched and wouldn't play in the room.
Not a lot of kids on our cruise but they seemed to be together, entertained and happy, and not bothersome to people without kids.
it was kept clean overall