Oosterdam Cruise Review to Mexico

Very nice, relaxing cruise

Sail Date: March 01, 2010

I love Holland America's Oosterdam. This is the second time I have been on this specific ship. It is very nice and elegant, might be too old of a crowd for some but there were young kids in their 20's really enjoying it. I know HAL is trying to shed it's "old persons" image. For those of you that want quiet time, there is that along with entertainment. It was a great cruise, we did the Mexican Riviera this time with stops in Mazatlan, Puerto Vallarta and Cabo. I would recommend this ship and this cruise to everyone. Special places for smokers (I am not one of them) although I think HAL might soon have some non smoking ships. We did have some precautionary things happen on the first few days of the ship, it was not a self serve buffet on the Lido deck. We pulled into Mazatlan and another ship there had some gastrointestinal stuff going around so it was done as a precaution but later on the cruise they opened it up for self serve. We never got sick, we haven't on any cruise though. Have fun and enjoy the cruise!

Pros: Nathan Temby the piano player at the piano bar / chocolate trivia! YUM

Cons: Location of piano bar across from casino / too much smoke

Recommends Oosterdam? Yes!

Food quality was average, nothing special, I have had better food on other cruise lines. There was excellent variety of food. Dining times were great, we always go with the open seating times now which worked out fine, no real line ever, maximum 5 minute wait. The dining room has always been very nice. This ship has improved it's ship dining staff to exceptional. It was always excellent but now it is exceptional service. This would get 6 smily faces.
We get a balcony room now, I pay for an inside and my husband pays for the upgrade to the balcony room. I just want to be on the ship. I love the fact that HAL has tubs in their room although I just didn't find time to use it on this trip.
This is a very nice cruise ship with wonderful staff. I have been on this ship twice and friendliness, willingness/ability to help is ALWAYS exceptional.
I would say that HAL has more sophisticated entertainment along with average activities and entertainment that you find on most cruise ships. We have taken almost 15 cruises. I love the Culinary Arts center especially the chocolate trivia with lots of chocolate! I also love the string quartet in the evenings. Average entertainment are shows, casino, trivia, guitar player. Explorations cafe has a library, internet, puzzles and more. Nice area. Loved the piano bar with Nathan Temby. Extremely talented player. I don't think he will be there long he is so talented, he really needs to be working somewhere else due to his talent.
This is my second time on this ship, it is my favorite HAL ship so far. I love the spa area. I love the wrap around promenade deck, it is so nice to walk around. Everything is easy to get to. All areas were very, very clean. Easy to get anywhere on this ship.