Oosterdam Cruise Review to Mexico

Better than average

Sail Date: March 01, 2007

Overall the ship was pretty good. The lay out could have been better, more pools, bigger hot tubs, etc. Good size weight room, lido dining room needs to be bigger (becomes very crowded at times). We enjoyed the entertainment..."american idol", magician, pianist, comedy show, bingo, etc. This was our third cruise together (my wife's 4th), have only been on Princess cruises in the past...we got to know the activities staff on this one...had not on the previous cruises.
We did two shore excursions...kayak and snorkel in Cabo--the staff was very good and friendly, kayaking was fun, saw sea lions. Snorkeling was lame...very cold waters, nothing to see...approx $50 per person.

Canopy zip line tour in Puerto Vallarta-- approx 1 hr ride (one way) in the back of an open but covered unimog (an adventure but tolerable)...if you can tolerate the exhaust then you will be ok. The zip line was very fun, great staff that ran it...approx $100 per person

Pros: Entertainment staff

Cons: ship layout

Recommends Oosterdam? Yes!

In the past we have had balconies, this was our first indoor cabin on any cruise line and therefore have nothing to compare to. I expected it to be small and it was. There was a DVD however and movies can be rented for free (w/ refundable $30 deposit upon return). Our stateroom attendent Asep was excellent...very friendly, cordial, prompt, etc. All Oosterdam stateroom attendents leave a "towel" animal on your bed at night...a nice fun touch (you'll have to see to know what I'm talking about).
Ship size is fine however I thought the space could have been used more efficiently. Only two pools...a "family" pool w/ retractible roof and an "adult" pool in the back. The adult pool only had two very small hot tubs, the family pool has 4 small hot tubs. Would have liked to have seen a third pool w/ larger hot tubs.
Weight room was the biggest I have ever seen (have only been on two previous Princess cruises however).
The Vista show room is big and very elegant in appearance...
Food was good. Only one general buffet style dining room (lido)...can get very crowded during certain times of the day.
Ship staff was very good and friendly. I had no issues w/ them.
We liked the entertainment. Dan the cruise director grows on you and we really appreciated him especially towards the end of the trip...the rest of the activities staff was good. Magician was ok, have seen better but he did fool me:)