Oosterdam Cruise Review to Alaska - Inside Passage

Excellent Vacation

Sail Date: September 01, 2007

The Oosterdam is a gorgeous ship and our stateroom was very comfortable. We are so thankful we sprang for a verandah. As with all cruises, there is always something going on somewhere around the ship but the views from our room were so beautiful that the idea of playing bingo in a theatre seemed like a waste of Scenic Alaska.

The crew is very friendly, as were the other guests on board. The ships photographers were always around to take our picture as well as to answer questions I had about my camera. The Vista Dining Room staff is excellent and so was room service.

The food is something entirely different. I have always heard eating is one of the highlights of a cruise vacation but that is not the case on the Osterdam. The first few days my husband and I just thought we were ordering the wrong things...Nope, it was all pretty bad. The presentation of every item is amazing, just don't expect it to taste as good as it looks. Room Service was the shining exception. We enjoyed every meal we ate in our room. Perhaps its the buffet/mass-serving factor that zaps the flavor from the rest of the food on the ship.

The ports were great. We loved Juneau and Ketchikan. We had a rainy day in Sitka and the rocking tender ride to town was uncomfortable after a very rocky night of sailing through bad weather. I think cruising both directions in seven days might have made the cruise too rushed. We only had a morning in Ketchikan and an evening in Victoria.

All in all we had an awesome vacation.

Pros: Very Relaxing, Beautiful Stateroom

Cons: Food

Recommends Oosterdam? Yes!

Unless you eat a lot of room service, you don't have to worry about gaining weight on this ship.
There is always something going on but nothing as enjoyable as a relaxing dip in the hot tub.
Blues and golds are very pleasing to the eye.
Bed/linens are very comfortable. Bathroom was larger than I expected.
Very friendly. Our steward was overworked but our room was always clean. Towel animals were a treat.