NCL's Wine Policy

Norwegian Sun Cruise Review to Caribbean - Eastern

Contributor Level: Third Mate

Sail Date: February 06, 2013
Ship: Norwegian Sun

Because we had a balcony cabin, I packed 2 bottles of wine for me and my wife to enjoy on our balcony.  NCL went into my luggage and confiscated the wine, and informed me that they would give me back the wine at the end of the cruise, or I could pay a $20 corkage fee.  I found this to be extremely insulting, and makes this cruise line in my mind to be most interested in getting as much money as they can in selling their liquor.

I complained to the staff on board the ship, and to corporate.  Their answer was that it is their corporate policy to enforce this.

I have cruised Carnival, Holland America, and Celebrity, and all of these cruise lines allow their customers to bring on board 2 bottles of wine that you can keep in your stateroom, but not bring to the dining room.  This makes sense.

Because of this policy, I will never again cruise with this line regardless of their fare.  While on this cruise, I had them remove their in stateroom mini bar, and we did not purchase one drink because of this policy.

In the rear of the ship on the Lido deck they had a nice daily lunch buffet, and most of the time it was not crowded, and shaded by large type umbrellas.