Norwegian Sun Cruise Review to Alaska - Inside Passage

Great Cruise, but the Food was Subpar

Sail Date: September 01, 2009

Traveled As: Family w/young children

We cruised on the September 13, 2009 Alaska Inside Passage Cruise. Overall, we had a great time. This was my third cruise on a Norwegian ship. I absolutely love the Freestyle environment. It is so nice to not have to eat on a schedule! We had a total of seven people in our group and never did we have to wait for more than five minutes to get a table in one of the dining rooms.

Despite what others have written about this ship, we found the service to be very good. Everyone from the room stewards to the restaurant bussers treated us like royalty. One of the things I really appreciate about Norwegian is the way that every crew member says, "Hello!" when you pass them in the hallways. They seem to be a very friendly group.

The entertainment aboard was quite good. While not every show did it for me, overall, it was enjoyable. I liked the fact that there was some kind of show in the main theater every single night.

I only had two real complaints. First of all, the food on this particular cruise was sub par. The last couple of nights aboard, we actually had a difficult time trying to find something that sounded good to eat (and we are not a picky bunch). I am not sure if the menus are standard across all Norwegian ships, but if they aren't, then the powers at be would be well advised to find a new executive chef for this ship.

My other complaint was that the buffet area is not set up at all well. There simply is not enough seating for the number of people who eat there. It becomes a mad house of disgruntled, frustrated passengers and makes for a less than enjoyable meal experience.

Pros: Balcony Cabin, Entertainment, Kids Program, Service

Cons: Food, Buffet Layout

Recommends Norwegian Sun? Yes!