Norwegian Spirit Cruise Review to Europe - Mediterranean

Third Mate

Retiremment gift for Wife

Sail Date: April 24, 2014

We were greatly disappointed in NCL from all the outstanding things we had heard about this cruise line.  My wife and I have cruised on 11 prior cruises and none with NCL so we were excited about this cruise.  We had a room with a balcony and the room was very small and was very hard to fit two people on the balcony.  The bathroom was so small you had to turn sideways in order to move around in the bathroom.  The first three days of the cruise our bathroom in our stateroom had plumbing problems as the toliet did not work annd we had to find bathrooms throughout the ship.  The food was good in the dining room, however, the food on the buffet line was always cold.  I asked for sugar free jelly and sugar free ice cream and was told they did not carry any but in the middle of the cruise they served sugar free ice cream for one night then I was informed again they did not carry sugar free ice cream, same as will the sugar free jelly. The sugar free desert was not very good either in that they would have left overs for several days.  My wife and I will give NCL another chance just in case this what out of the norm.  The evening entertainment was great, the house keeping staff was great, and the ship's appearance was beautiful.  We have cruised 10 times with Carnival and one time with Holland America, and this one cruise with NCL.  This was the worst cruise my wife and I have exeperienced in our past 11 cruises.  We will give NCL another chance just in case this was out ot of the regular norm.

Cruise Photos

The ships appearance was beautiful.
The food in the dining room was good, however, they served the same thing every night. The food on the buffet was always cold and the staff did not want to help you. The sugar free dessert was terrible, out of the 12 days only 2 days were good. Midway through the cruise the ship ran out of tea and lemonade and had to serve orange drink and or fruit punch which wasn't that great.
The housekeeping and bar staff was great. The other staff was a hit or miss.
The entertainment was great. The daily activities were okay, but on this cruise we had ports everyday with the exception of one day.
They seemed to be okay, the kids seemed to be happy. We did not have any children with us on this cruise..
Excursions were great, however, the descriptions need to be explained better, i.e., I plannned for level 1 or 2 excursions due to my physical disabilities. The explanation would say walking 1 to 1 and a half miles but that is from the bus to the start of the excursion and would end up walking 3 to 5 miles..
The room was very small, difficult to move around on the balcony. The bathroom was very small and the toliet did not work or worked half of the time for the first three days and would have to go throughout the ship to find a toliet.

The dining rooms were great and usually did not have a large line.