Norwegian Spirit Cruise Review to Caribbean - Western

Will not cruise with Norwegian again

Sail Date: December 01, 2007

The main reason I will never cruise NCL on any of their ships agin, is that I selected the particular cruise that I did, based on two of the 4 ports of call (Roatan and Santo Tomas de Castillo). After boarding and getting settled, they indicated there had been a problem with one engine the night before. Then, well on our way into the Gulf of Mexico, we are informed they would be dropping Santo Tomas altogether to make up time. Now I understand things can happen out of their control, but they knew before we left port and didn't offer any alternatives except stay on board. Then, to make up for the lost port of call, we were offered $50/person (max $100/cabin) off of any "onboard" charges we racked up. Our total credit came to $400 for 9 people who spent over $11000 in just for airfare and the cabin (doesn't include any excursions or onboard charges). That I find unacceptable!!! After writing a letter to them to explain how important the stop at Santo Tomas was to these 9 people, NCL was not interested in offering even so mush as a discount coupon! I"M DONE WITH THEM!!!

Pros: Free Style Dining

Cons: They dropped one port of call - inadequate compensation right AFTER boarding

Recommends Norwegian Spirit? No.

Ok except the occasional brown water from the faucet (common complaint I heard onboard).
Nothing special here, but I wasn't cruising for this anyway
Not good for teens - mine were very bored while on ship. Other people's teens were starting to cause do destructive acts by the end.

Layout was fine, except I couldn't do the Leonardo Decaprio thing on the bow.
Food seemed ok to me - portions a bit small at dinner
I thought the housekeepers were very nice and the waiters knowledgeable, but I heard from many "seasoned" cruisers onboard that they were nothing compared to other cruise lines. NOTE: Their tips are automatically added to the room bill each day at $10/person/day so incentive is an issue.