Norwegian Jewel Cruise Review to Caribbean - Bahamas

Average Cruise

Sail Date: June 01, 2010

Traveled As: Family w/young children

I selected this cruise because of the theme, Nickelodeon. I expected it to be like Disney with great disney shows and special effects. In no way does this cruise meet Disney's standards and services. There was a meet and greet Nick character session two times and some Nick/Slime games, etc. But no real nick shows. I was disappointed that not even the farewell show brought on stage the nick characters. That would have been nice. It is nice that the staff were acknowledged on stage. However, Dora and Spongebob are real characters to our children. Imagine if the characters, too, went up on stage. Housekeeping was horrible. On my first day, I dusted the TV, dressor, and windowsill myself. The staff took their sweet time making up the beds and did not even change the linens unless I requested this. The sheets were old, worned out and had lint balls on them. There were times I would return to the room after 5pm and room still not cleaned and bed made up. Bar service was below average. Staff very cheap with adding quality liquor to drinks and did not dress up the drinks unless I insisted. Nominal fees outrageous. Drinks were over $8.00 with minimal alcohol, poor appearance, etc. Most restaurants required us to pay nominal fees. NCL also has a mandatory tipping policy, a whopping $12.00PP. Therefore, even if service is poor, clients are forced to pay tips. I knew an alarm went off when tipping was mandatory. Workers know they will get their tip no matter what and therefore work without efficiency and enthusiasm. The pools were small. I particularly enjoyed the adult pool, although on some days water was freezing. Buffet food is good and better than I expected. By the time I received my end of cruise statement, I almosted fainted. In all my years of crusing, I have never received such a huge bill. Be careful, you may get a good deal on the initial cruise, but the cruise line will get you with all the nominal fees. Also when you check in and out, be prepared to pay the porters and make sure you know where your party is meeting you because they only care about the tips they receive. One porter lied to me and directed me to an area my party would meet me and it was the wrong area.

Pros: The buffet style food

Cons: Too many nominal fees and poor housekeeping

Recommends Norwegian Jewel? No.

Very poor housekeeping services.
A first time cruiser may enjoy this cruise.