Norwegian Dawn Cruise Review to Bermuda

Big Disappointment

Sail Date: July 01, 2008

Room Type: Suite

I had cruised on the Dawn about 5 years ago and had a fabulous experience but things have gone down hill dramatically. Freestyle is anything but - reservations are either hard to get or not accepeted resulting in long waits at the "free" restaurants. With few exceptions servers were disinterested at best and rude at worst. Lots of misinformation - such as "ferry is free" and it was not. Entertainment options were very limited - many nights there was only one show and if you were stuck with a late dining reservation you missed it. Bingo was outrageously expensive (as much as $159 by the last day of the cruise and was played so fast that you could not enjoy it. The bingo was over in about 1/2 hour - not much fun for a lot of money.

Ship seems to be catering to the 20 something crowd so entertainment was not appealing to most that were not in that age group. The one show we did get to see - 70's review was great and was followed by a 70's party that really rocked the place. People of all ages were enjoying themselves and it was great. Cruise staff is more like Chippendale dancers than activity leaders. No poolside activities (the smallest pool I have ever seen on a cruise ship for 2700 people), and few other organized activities. Drinks were sold in specialty glasses unless you requested to not have the glass which took $2 off the charge. Stateroom was smaller than those I have experienced on other cruise lines.

Crew was much less engaging than when I was on the ship in 2003. You rarely saw the officers and if you did they were not talking with any of the passengers but in small groups with each other. On other cruises, once anyone knew your name they remembered it and called you by name throughout. Only a few times did anyone even refer to me by name even though our charge card that you give had our name on it.

I was very disappointed in this cruise and would not recommend it to anyone and will not likely go on this ship or even another NCL cruise again.

Pros: My travel companions

Cons: Getting nickeled and dimed to death

Recommends Norwegian Dawn? No.